If you were going to buy an AR...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, adding a full sized 6V flashlight with tape switch in a QD mount, FUG grip and full size Aimpoint in a Larue throwlever mount reallly boost the fat factor. Any one of them alone would be fine, but all three together is just too much.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a lot of builders remorse out there these days after people have bought the "best" of everything, only to find that once they have it all put together the carbine weighs as much as a Garand and doesn't balance well. I'd take a little extra weight over a poorly balanced gun, but not too much.

I am actually guilty of that very thing :D

I'm not necessarily unhappy with mine weight-wise, but its a very different experience when shooting one of my lighter carbines (of course, the recoil is almost nil, so hammer-drills are almost twice as fun).

The lesson learned for me was to avoid heavy profile barrels unless you actually need them (and some of the lighter weight rail systems are more than worth their value in gold). Any of the barrel manufacturers I listed would be fine in an SBR (or pencil profile if you could find one) out to farther than most shooters could shoot with a 1x optic, so the added weight of a heavy profile is definitely not necessary unless you're planning on shooting pretty good distances regularly.

The difference isn't chrome-lining, twist, or barrel profile, its tolerances, QC and overall quality of manufacturing process (and even materials used) - this makes the difference in a good barrel and a great one (don't get me wrong, chrome-lining is nice for cleaning, etc... and twist is important for a few things to consider, but I'd take a non-chrome-lined 1/9 barrel that was made like a Noveske or Sabre over a heavy-profile tricked out barrel made by a cheaper manufacturer with sloppy tolerances any day).

LaRue makes a great rail system but its heavy, so is Daniel Defenses regular rail system - their DD Light rail is a thing of beauty.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at Zanders. Right now you can get a S&W M&P 15OR for around $750. Heck of a deal. The you can scope it with anything you want. Buy some magpul plastic backup sights and you are good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom