I'm getting a mouse gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not in a high threat area.

Neither am I. In fact, I would say that the threat in my area would be practically nil. Then again, bad things happen to everyone. If something were to happen at my home, it would be 20 minutes for a response from 911. I would say the threat in my church would be even lower, but I am very religious about having a few spare mags (most common failure) and am saving for a backup. (The town my church is in runs ~8 violent crimes per year, 0 homicides, etc. My county is not much higher than that.)

Odds are I'm not going to need a gun and the stats I've read indicate that presentation of the gun is enough to stop the encounter.

Statistics are just numbers. Criminals don't care about statistics. I'm sure I will never have to use my gun, but does that mean that I don't prepare to do so?

If I need to use the gun I can make solid hits.

Can you under extreme stress, while possibly being shot at while seeking cover? I'm not sure how solid my hits would be under those conditions, which is why I prepare for a hit rate of ~20%.

I know the guys that carry back up guns and wear shoulder holsters over their pajamas will get their dander up, but based on my threat assessment odds are I'll be fine.

You're right, odds are you will be fine. But how will you feel if you fall on the wrong side of the odds? For me, if something were to happen to my wife or my relatives or my friends that might not have happened had I been carrying, I'm not sure that I would be able to even face myself in the mirror.

The reason we even carry is because we know that despite living in a 'low threat' area that violent encounters defy the statistics.

+1

It took from Shawnee to Dardanelle to convince my Dad of that when he found out I had applied for a permit.

greg1996zz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason we even carry is because we know that despite living in a 'low threat' area that violent encounters defy the statistics.

I don't dispute the general need, logic or societal benefits of concealed carry. I was one of the first people in the state to get a license b/c I threatened OSBI with a writ of mandamus when they failed to meet the 'shall issue' deadline. However, that does not mean that I can't look at the situation with a sense of proportionality. Odds are I'm more likely to need a fire extinguisher or a portable defribrulator than a gun, but I don't carry those things. I frequently carry, but not always. And, when I do carry it's usually a tomcat. I work in a white collar office, I live in a nice gated community, I'm not out late and I don't run with scum. If I worked at a pharmacy on the S. Side of OKC or at an all night convenience store my threat assessment would probably be different as would my weapon selection.

greg1996zz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Statistics are just numbers. Criminals don't care about statistics. I'm sure I will never have to use my gun, but does that mean that I don't prepare to do so?

Nothing in my comments suggested that others should not practice, prepare or carry. Just that I'm comfortable not always carrying based on my assessment of risk. Do whatever you think is right. Your and JP's comments about statistics are unhelpful hyperbole. If we don't use historical context to make decisions, we're just left with gut feelings. I might get struck by falling meteors, so shall I never leave the house without a hard hat? My comments about the carry 24/7 crowd were based on experience in these types of forums and the informal statistics in my head. Anytime someone even inadvertently implies that they might be a little overly concerned about the issue an attack is sure to follow.

Can you under extreme stress, while possibly being shot at while seeking cover? I'm not sure how solid my hits would be under those conditions, which is why I prepare for a hit rate of ~20%.

Yes, I have no doubt that I can.

You're right, odds are you will be fine. But how will you feel if you fall on the wrong side of the odds? For me, if something were to happen to my wife or my relatives or my friends that might not have happened had I been carrying, I'm not sure that I would be able to even face myself in the mirror.

I would feel like crap. When I carry it is usually because I have the family with me. However, having an irriationally high level of concern over something that in all probability won't happen doesn't seem to be a good choice either. Most of us make safety choices for our families all the time --how fast should I drive, who are they with, should they be allowed ride motorcycles, etc. and we make decisions based on the threat assessment. I'd feel like crap about anyone one of those decisions turning out bad. Don't get me wrong, I've got big guns within easy reach in my office, home and car. But, I don't feel the need to strap on a gun just because I'm going to get out of the car and go into the gas station to get a coke and I don't fret too much because I can't wear a gun at the water park.

Latest posts

Top Bottom