I'm not having fun, shooting in Ok sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns for sale everywhere with way inflated prices and no place to shoot unless you bend over and pay the way inflated club or range fee's. Places to plink other than GMA don't exist.

I remember as a child and young man there were places to shoot all over OK. Now,,, nada.

I live in Okmulgee/Thugville and have been working a lot in Arkansas. There are places all over the place to shoot there.

I'm finding gun ownership and the hobby very very disgusting in Oklahoma. Almost might as well be in NY State. I'm finding less and less to like about a once proud state.

You know, you missed one hell of a OSA Shoot today..... Should have posted this yesterday so you could actually have something to complain about.

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tend to use the range in Wagoner here. Drove to the Okmulgee range but today but it was closed for hunting. Went ahead and drove to the Wagoner range. Frist time out for the 10/22 here. There was a couple and a older man on the table next to us. So I am plinking away on a target. Old man screams hey we have a person going down range. Now I always go with a friend. And every time we have been there we make sure to say clear and ask if it is okay to go down range. So I ask him did they say clear or person down range and he said no. So while shooting down range a guy just starts walking down range. Good way to get your ass shot.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I joined the Muskogee Gun Club, their range is down at Warner, but its only $50 a year and you can shoot sunrise to sunset all year round except for the occasional special shoot like bolt action rifle shoots.

Its pretty nice for a out in the country outside range.

Beats the heck out of dealing with the trash left by others at the Zeb/Gruber public range that you have to have a hunting license to use, and is closed down half the year for hunting seasons.

And I dont miss the half drunk dodo birds at the Zeb range shooting tvs 20 feet in front of the rifle hard stand with shotguns while you are at the next table dodging glass shrapnel.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya, shooting around here feels way too corporate. I'm from NM, and back there we used to just go out on the rez and shoot at cardboard boxes, clay pigeons, shaving cream cans, or whatever, whenever we felt like it, for free. Now if they only had a job for me back there...

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finding gun ownership and the hobby very very disgusting in Oklahoma. Almost might as well be in NY State. I'm finding less and less to like about a once proud state.

So are you saying that you equate the fact that you don't have enough ranges that you like to go to equal to the restrictive gun control laws put out by New York?

There is a pretty big difference between a LAW and a inconvenience.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i was a teenager years ago,we used to be able to go down in the riverbed near newcastle I-44 and shoot.

On the weekends ,people would take their dunebuggys and dirtbikes also.

most of the land now is private. another advantage of having some land.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use to be a lot of places to shoot around your area. They must have dried up.

I know around here the FED's have ruined a lot. When the FED's came in and stole land form folks for there water fowl refuge program it was a major blow. I lost land that I deer hunted on and plinked on. A lot of Deep Fork bottom land got sucked up in that land grab also where a lot of folks use to go plinking. Now it's a super max for quackers. And go out and screw around on it you might find your self in a super max for humans. You also use to be able to go out to the old coal strip pits and shoot. Not anymore. The EPA has ruined that or the FED's own it, or it's caught up in 50 year old court case's as to who owns it. It's all off limits now.

Lawyers, politicians and college boys are doing there best to ruin our country hands down.

College boys? I do not ever remember running anyone off a gun range. I guess I can grab my transcript, then head to the range and make everyone leave. Also maybe you can educate me on how I am ruining my country by educating myself, I guess you are really going to hate me when I go to law school.

Remember there are people on both sides in all walks of life. Yes I am in college and will be going to law school, but I support the 2nd and love shooting as much as anyone here. It really turns people off the sport when people like you open your yacker and generalize folks because of what they do. Trust me it has been all I can do not to vomit listening to my liberal college teachers, but there are plenty of "college boys" that love shooting, others call this the next generation which is very important to gun laws. Just because you can sit behind your computer and put a few sentences together does not mean you were never 22 yrs old.

I hope that a "college boy" has not gotten onto this site thinking about getting into shooting only to learn he is guilty of ruining the country, and shooting opportunities for everyone. We are supposed to be ambassadors for the sport, do not ruin my gun rights by pissing people off and turning them away from the sport.

blastsnap

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for the link to Ft. Smith. Use to live there and loved it. First daughter was born there. Lot s of good times there. Would already be moved back if current wife wouldn't freak out on me. Purchased my Sigma 9mm in Ft. Smith a few weeks ago. Got it for $200 after tax, transfer and rebate. Exactly what the pistol is worth. :)

You can thank other gun owners for this. They have left so much trash behind that many people don't want to let anyone shoot on the property they once did.

I would agree the local GMA/WMA what ever they call it gets trashed out because of some of the low grade class of people that use it. Every time I've been out there I have picked up after others.

It's a short drive from Poteau to Ft Smith. There's 4 private club ranges within 15 minutes of my house.

Lots of places to shoot in or around Ft. Smith. I will more than likwly stop Monday morning in FS to shoot with a buddy of mine on my way to Little Rock. May go shoot while in Little Rock and if time permits. Stop back in FS or Van Buren and shot again on the way back. :)

IBTB...lol
All I can say is sell your guns (preferably on here) and move to Texas. I heard they had a Border Patrol that was hiring. Maybe you can do some shooting on the clock.

We should be doing that here! No need to go to Texas.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow ... the things a girl misses when she is at the range SHOOTING with her hubby and friends ... :uhh: (Thank you OSA members for a great time yesterday at T-Birds!!)

I can take those guns off your hands if it is that much of a bother for you. :rollingla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom