Impending Doom and Imminent Ban....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I've been thru this a few times before. After the Bush ban in (I think) the 80s. Prices of ARs went from 250 to 1000 overnight. Never came back down to that level (sort of)

Then the Clinton bans.
First on Chinese imports. I remember being able to get CASES of 7.62 x 39 for 79 bucks. and SKS rifles for 89 bucks. Right after the ban, I watched a mountain of imported 7.62 x 39 melt at one gun show. At that time, I was of the mindset that I didn't need THAT much and besides, I didn't really shoot 7.62x39.

Next came the infamous assault weapons ban. And assault magazine ban. Mad dash and mad scramble. A lot of people, myself included, didn't think it would pass. I remember "preban" Glock mags going for 75 to 90 bucks each. Ruger 10/22 Ramlines were 50 to 75 bucks. During that one, ole Slick Willie was even trying to impose an arsenal tax (10 guns or more than 1000 rounds of ammo or ammo components). You couldn't find primers or projos for months. I remember several stores imposing a 200 primer per customer limit when they did get them in.

Ever since then, I try to save ALL of my brass. And I will admit to being a brass whore at shooting ranges. If no one is controlling it, I am/was not above sweeping as much brass as I could into my pile. Used brass isn't going to go bad in my lifetime, so even when the ammo is/was "inexpensive" I saved the brass.

I like to try to have 10 mags per firearm. Especially plastic mags, like Glock and 10/22. And, if one breaks, you don't get rid of it. At least during the last AWB, if you screwed up a Glock mag, you could send it back to the factory for repair. Ramline wasn't as kind. Even though they had a "lifetime guarantee". If you sent one of the hi-caps back to them, they sent you a 10 rounder as a "fix".

Since those days, I've tried to buy what I could when I could. Never over extend what you can comfortably afford.

Take this scare as a lesson. Learn from it. Buy what you can as you can. 100 rounds here, 1 or 2 mags there. Do not panic purchase. Do not spend more than you can. If things blow over for a while, buy em cheap and stack em deep. And keep doing it.

As to ammo. It depends on what you are stocking up for. Recreational shooting? Personal defense? Repelling the Zombie whores? I mean hordes. I've burned through as much as 3000 rounds in a weekend before. But that was at a semi organized full auto shoot. And I sure haven't done it much!!!

Take a look at the numbers. Let's say you have a Glock 19. So, 15 rounds per mag. 20 magazines is 300 rounds. 900 rounds would be 60 magazines worth of shooting. If you look at ARs, then 30 rounds per mag. 30 magazines is 900 rounds.

If you are talking about "bugging out"? You ain't gonna carry much. 1000 rounds of 9mm is close to 30 pounds (I think). Kinda hard to hump around the countryside with nothing but ammo in your ruck.

If you are talking about "bugging in", then "buy it cheap and stack it deep". Or reload your butt off.

If you don't reload, learn. Even if you don't reload, you can still buy brass and primers for the day that you need to reload.

Heck, I'm actually debating getting a pistol in .40 or .357Sig cause it is apparent that very few people shoot those calibers cause that is all that is ever on the shelves.

Sorry to ramble.

Dave

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave covered it pretty well. Here is my humble opinion of what you should keep on hand.

Mags:
Pistol, 5-10 per gun
Rifle, 15-20 per gun

Anything extra is gravy or future barter material

Ammo:
Pistol & Shotgun, 1000+ per gun
Rifle, 2000-3000 per gun
.22LR, 3000-4000 (great for taking small game quietly)

Also, have plenty on hand to practice with.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck, I'm actually debating getting a pistol in .40 or .357Sig cause it is apparent that very few people shoot those calibers cause that is all that is ever on the shelves.

I don't have enough 10mm brass so I'm still buying factory ammo here and there to build up my brass supply. I was in the Broken Arrow Bass Pro tonight and handguns were gone, daddy gone. Ammo was totally picked over too but there was some .40 on hand. There it was, a nice stack of 10mm just waiting for me to grab a box.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to have at least 2000 rounds of each kind of ammo at all times. Most of the time I end up shooting it and fall short of the goal.

If I did that with the odd ball calibers I own and like to shoot...............I'd be in serious debt. $12,000 worth of .30-378wby............$15,000 worth of .416 Rigby:D

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes 2000 rounds for low volume odd balls might be much. But i sure wouldnt mind a few hundred for the 30-40 Krag and .22 hornet.

I try to keep around 500 rounds of 30-06 (factory/surplus/handloads) at all times (3 boltactions and a Garand). like to keep 1K+ of .22LR and try to buy some everytime I'm in walmart. I generally keep 200-500 rounds of 38spl and 45 ACP reloads around depending on the range trip to reloading bench ratio I have. Everything else I have is something I hardley ever shoot or is a single shot so dont realy go through tha much volume.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anything less than 5000rnds of .22 is not enough...its cheap. The rest, couple thousand ea plus reload everything....its helps when ammo is high and when your bored and stuck indoors

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to have atleast 10 mags per rifle and 1,000 rounds ammo but i'm way short on that goal. And, atleast 6 mags per pistol and 1,000 rounds of ammo for each.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I'm right there with you and I'm only 47! :D
I'm kind of like Dennis's ex FIL. I shot one of my deer rifles twice this year for checking the zero and shot it 3 times during season. Two bucks and one coyote. Done for the year. I have enough components to load several hundred rounds for all my rifles and that would be maybe 20 or so. Haven't counted in a few years. The ban can sure suck it as far as I'm concerned.
Just to show you how old I am Glocktogo...I still load with some 4831 powder that came in a 40 pound keg...Total price........38.95..Now that's old....

Latest posts

Top Bottom