Imported CDs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased imported CDs online? Is there anywhere local that will order new releases from foreign bands? Started to buy a CD online, but when I realized I was about to send my credit card number to an outfit in Switzerland (I initially thought it was an American importer) I got cold feet. Went to Amazon, and lo and behold they use the same Swiss importer, but it's $7 more. Any leads?

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could probably get a local indie shop to import it for you, but it would likely cost you as much or more than going through Amazon. I used to work for an independent record store in OKC, but I never special ordered overseas stuff from the shop because it was usually a better deal for me to buy several items directly from the artist, if possible. The shop didn't get a significant discount for ordering a single disc from an overseas artist/distributor.

Is it an artist that sells directly online? If so, that is probably your best bet. If Starship Records is still around, I would try them and see if they will import it for you.

I have ordered from overseas distributors, but all of them were in England, so I don't have any first hand experience with any Swiss distros. I did use a CC, though, and no bad came of it.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought of Starship and still might try them, but figure they may think I'm nuts when I try to give them the band/album name. The band does sell direct online off of their website, but they're German, and at 13.99 Euros I'm not sure if I'd be any further ahead with the exchange rate, shipping, etc than to just go with Amazon. That would probably be the safest route.

That's what I get for listening to that for-een crap.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Collecting stuff like that can get really expensive. I have been a big Coil fan for a long time, and I have spent thousands on their limited release stuff that they only sell online, directly from England. I buy everything on vinyl, too, so it is a little more pricey than CD's. I think its the exclusivity that I like, though, Once the stuff is gone, its gone - and a lot of the limited releases appreciate in value over time. Not that I ever sell vinyl, but still.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've asked the staff at Starship some weird questions and 95% of the time the reaction is "Dude, right on! Wait, do you have all the stuff from (band guitarist/bassist/drummer played in before the band I asked about)?"

Like the other dude said, I don't think you'd save much vs. online, but at least you'd be supporting a local biz. I don't really worry about buying stuff from ferrners. I've ordered a lot of things online, not necessarily musac, from ferrners with no problems.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought of Starship and still might try them, but figure they may think I'm nuts when I try to give them the band/album name. The band does sell direct online off of their website, but they're German, and at 13.99 Euros I'm not sure if I'd be any further ahead with the exchange rate, shipping, etc than to just go with Amazon. That would probably be the safest route.

That's what I get for listening to that for-een crap.

A lot of bands are distributed in the US by an American label. A lot of the european bands I've listened to in the past are distributed by Metropolis here in the states. It seems to be more difficult to setup a distribution deal for an American band in europe. After a year or so of haggling, my band decided on a Sony offshoot in Spain.

What CD's are you looking for?

Have you tried looking in the cove with all the jolly rogers?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Collecting stuff like that can get really expensive. I have been a big Coil fan for a long time, and I have spent thousands on their limited release stuff that they only sell online, directly from England. I buy everything on vinyl, too, so it is a little more pricey than CD's. I think its the exclusivity that I like, though, Once the stuff is gone, its gone - and a lot of the limited releases appreciate in value over time. Not that I ever sell vinyl, but still.

<3 coil!

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon it is. Starship said they can order it, but it's backordered and he doesn't know when (if) their distributor will get any more copies. It's a new release, so they should, but I may just cut the B.S. and order through Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon it is. Starship said they can order it, but it's backordered and he doesn't know when (if) their distributor will get any more copies. It's a new release, so they should, but I may just cut the B.S. and order through Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions.

What CD are you looking for?

Latest posts

Top Bottom