In honor of those that sacrificed everything. (Decoration/Memorial Day)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to fly my colors every day; an American flag and a U.S. Navy flag in honor of my deceased father and my niece. But this year, it came with a heavy heart, considering all the crap we as Americans are having to deal with today.

I know it will probably never happen in my time, but I hope and pray that my grandchildren will someday live in a society and nation, where they don't grow up in a vicious world of hate just because of the color of their skin, their sexual orientation or which political party they belong to.

Yeah, yeah...I know. Fat chance, huh. :rolleyes2

As most of you might know, I lost my dad almost a year ago. He was a sailor from 1957-1964...just lucky enough that he served right after the Korean conflict and just before our involvement in the Vietnam war. He taught me the importance of our soldiers and sailors and the blanket of freedom that they provide. He was a true patriot.

My niece is 20 years old and currently doing duty aboard the USS Essex LHD. She enlisted in the navy like most kids, for college money, but she also felt the need to serve her country. I'm so proud of her. I talked with her the other night via Skype and she said she would be on watch the next night with M4 and M9. I was so proud. And scared.

It's been a long standing "thing" for me to approach vets, either current or retired, and offer a handshake and a simple thank you for providing the blanket of freedom that my family and I rest under. I can usually spot them pretty easily by their attire. Especially the Vietnam vets. I've had all kinds of responses. From tears running down both of our cheeks, to a guy wanting to talk about it, to a simple thank you. I had one guy tell me, "aw hell son, that was over 40 years ago. I've gotten over it, you should too."

Thank you veterans. :patriot:

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
worth fighting fo.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I left Mountain Home, ID to go north into the state to see the scenery and take pictures. Had planned to go to Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area, but time prevented us from doing so. (Too much picture taking on the way up there.)

Coming back to Mountain Home today, we planned to stop at the Warhawk Museum in Nampa, ID to take pictures of the old planes. However, because it was Memorial Day, they had a special event there today and the parking lot and streets were full. I'll have to go back another day to photograph the planes.

Warhawks Museum

Latest posts

Top Bottom