Individual Plan Health Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Type 1 Diabetes (the insulin kind, not the too many twinkies kind), and was diagnosed in 1998. Thanks to modern technology, I have insulin and and insulin pump, which means that I am well controlled and in good health.

I recently changed jobs, moving away from a group insurance plan to an individual plan.

I have come to learn than health insurance is not all the same, especially with regards to 'group' vs. 'individual'. While group rules cannot exclude you for 'pre existing conditions', the same rules to not apply to individually underwritten 'individual' plans.

Can any OSAer give me a bead on the best healthcare provider to apply to even with my 'preexisting condition'? I'm not eligible for the 'high risk pool' because I have not been 6 months without coverage. I'd prefer not to go any time with coverage on account of my wife and son.

Thanks.

S

skitch1137

the pre existing condition clause is void after one year of holding insurance when starting a new policy without being previously insured. If you held insurance over a year from a different provider then its also waived.. at least thats the way it was with my plan now.

hope that helps if any.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is good luck, I tried that route but because I have a "pre-existing condition" they either refused to cover me or set premiums so high that Donald Trump would complain to make sure it was impossible to use their insurance. It's really shameful how they can get away with this, sickening actually. I know this has changed some since the new rules took place but no doubt they've found loopholes around it by now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom