Inexpensive home defense shotgun advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some couple friends are looking at buying an inexpensive shotgun for home defense. They presented me with their find of the Savage Stevens 320 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun with pistol grip stock ($190 at Academy) and wanted to know what I think, but I don't really know as I have no experience with it. I do have experience with the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500. Is the Stevens similar quality to those at least? Any reason to not just let them buy it or should I invest some time into helping them find something better?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you can offer that I can pass along.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not advocate using a pump gun for home defense. Most people buy a gun stuff it under the bed and never use it again.
In high stress situations, short stroking the pump will cause a failure to eject or a failure to feed.
In addition, if one ends up in a gunfight and takes a round to either arm/hand they can no longer use the pump gun. It can be used one handed if you know how, but its slow.
A Semi-auto is a much better choice. One can fire it one handed for as many as rounds as are in the chamber.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some couple friends are looking at buying an inexpensive shotgun for home defense. They presented me with their find of the Savage Stevens 320 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun with pistol grip stock ($190 at Academy) and wanted to know what I think, but I don't really know as I have no experience with it. I do have experience with the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500. Is the Stevens similar quality to those at least? Any reason to not just let them buy it or should I invest some time into helping them find something better?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you can offer that I can pass along.

Any 12 gauge pump can indeed be a problem unless the person or persons KNOW how to use it. An option might be a 20 gauge semi auto...? An inexpensive firearm is of course what a lot of people want but it is of little good in many situations. Spend a bit more and get something that will serve their needs. You have to ascertain their abilities and advise as you best see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The perfect HD scattergun IMHO is a good ol' hammerless coach gun.

Stoeger makes a nice one. You can even get one with just one trigger that further simplifies things. :thumb:

411544794.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not advocate using a pump gun for home defense. Most people buy a gun stuff it under the bed and never use it again.
In high stress situations, short stroking the pump will cause a failure to eject or a failure to feed.
In addition, if one ends up in a gunfight and takes a round to either arm/hand they can no longer use the pump gun. It can be used one handed if you know how, but its slow.
A Semi-auto is a much better choice. One can fire it one handed for as many as rounds as are in the chamber.
Not sure a semi auto is a good choice for a new shooter. People forget to practice and shoot the darn thing. They stick it under the bed or leaned up in the corner and that's it. The only time they touch it is when they vacuum (no offence). I prefer a semi auto but I shoot a semi auto and was raised on side by sides and pumps.
I guess what I'm saying is, learn to shoot and how to manage a loaded shotty first. It ain't the movies kiddo. Stress=mistakes.
Maybe a hammer coach gun would be best.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure a semi auto is a good choice for a new shooter. People forget to practice and shoot the darn thing. They stick it under the bed or leaned up in the corner and that's it. The only time they touch it is when they vacuum (no offence). I prefer a semi auto but I shoot a semi auto and was raised on side by sides and pumps.
I guess what I'm saying is, learn to shoot and how to manage a loaded shotty first. It ain't the movies kiddo. Stress=mistakes.

On a hammered coach, the owner/operator (which we have already established is a novice) has to remember to cock it and then if the "bump in the night" turns up to be the family cat or something, God help him/her when they try to lower those hammers! :faint:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need practice shooting a self loading shotgun. Pull the trigger until it runs out of ammo. I can't tell you how many pump gun owners I've seen on quail and pheasant hunts that short stroke the pump guns and hear a click or nothing at all. Home defense only intensifies the pressure.
I have no accurate stats to quote, but Its got to be 80-90% of shotgun owners that will buy one for SD and never put a box through it before storing it under the bed.
I'm also not in favor of a SXS. Only two shots. You need capacity.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a hammered coach, the owner/operator (which we have already established is a novice) has to remember to cock it and then if the "bump in the night" turns up to be the family cat or something, God help him/her when they try to lower those hammers! :faint:
Ha. LOL. Just my opinion. Seen a few people that go buy shotguns and think they have become the ultimate warrior and haven't a clue how to break it down or anything else.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotguns need to be aimed. Better off investing in an AR-15.

I may or may not have an AR-15 at the house, but I wouldn't see myself likely using it in a home defense situation due to concerns about sending a round into my neighbor's house. Is that a completely ridiculous concern? Feel free to try and change my position on this. I'm all ears and appreciate any insight you can offer!

Bryan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom