Inexpensive home defense shotgun advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you want a cheap shotgun, find a used Mossberg 500. Load it, and practice, with #1 Buck.
This! That's what I have next to the bed a 500SP 7+1 20Ga with ghost ring sights! I no novice, but and hour worth of instruction an most folks can get by with that, and a little practice every so often and most anyone will be prepared to defend hearth and home. If you have an older one you can get the up grade attachment so she can be set up for all the "Flex" modifications!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The comment about short stroking a pump would go for just about anything. People need to train with their weapon whether it be for self defense or hunting. You hand me a shotgun I'm not used to, I'll fumble the safety when a rooster gets up. Hand me my Auto 5 and the bird is down and I dont even remember turning the safety on and off while the bird was up...its just muscle memory. It amazes me how many people buy guns and dont go use them on a regular basis and keep their skills fresh. I'm not pretending to be some tacticool commando...but I do go to the range alot and would only use a weapon for self defense if I'm totally comfortable with it.
I keep my 500SP 7+1 20GA for the home, but like you said I was brought up with my dad's Auto-5 for hunting, and its all muscle memory for the Browning, she's like an extention of my arms when it comes to her. When the Dove comes across, or the Quail bust from cover she right there and usually drops them pretty damn quick!

Latest posts

Top Bottom