Inexpensive home defense shotgun advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need practice shooting a self loading shotgun. Pull the trigger until it runs out of ammo. I can't tell you how many pump gun owners I've seen on quail and pheasant hunts that short stroke the pump guns and hear a click or nothing at all. Home defense only intensifies the pressure.
I have no accurate stats to quote, but Its got to be 80-90% of shotgun owners that will buy one for SD and never put a box through it before storing it under the bed.
I'm also not in favor of a SXS. Only two shots. You need capacity.
Again, just my two cents. When a non shooter (that will never be a shooter) tells me he is buying a shotgun for home defense and ask what I think, I tell him save his money and move to a nicer neighborhood

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need practice shooting a self loading shotgun. Pull the trigger until it runs out of ammo. I can't tell you how many pump gun owners I've seen on quail and pheasant hunts that short stroke the pump guns and hear a click or nothing at all. Home defense only intensifies the pressure.
I have no accurate stats to quote, but Its got to be 80-90% of shotgun owners that will buy one for SD and never put a box through it before storing it under the bed.
Wait. Just read you entire post. Have to ask if you really said "don't need practice shooting a self loading shotgun"? Are you kidding? If you just want me to agree with everything you say then done. YOUR RIGHT! Hope you feel better. I will always remember that quote "You don't need to practice shooting a self loading shotgun". That's priceless.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait. Just read you entire post. Have to ask if you really said "don't need practice shooting a self loading shotgun"? Are you kidding? If you just want me to agree with everything you say then done. YOUR RIGHT! Hope you feel better. I will always remember that quote "You don't need to practice shooting a self loading shotgun". That's priceless.
Seriously? Why the faux anger? We are having a discussion. Your free to disagree and offer your own opinion. Got a chip on your shoulder?
My comment about not needing practice with a self loading shotgun at home defense ranges revolves around the comment I also made that IMHO 80-90% of people that buy a shotgun shoot less than a box of shells through it and then stuffs it under the bed to use years later. The semi-auto, self loader is hands down the choice because of two things, they don't need to rack the slide and it can be shot one handed until the magazine is empty.
Feel free to discuss my logic with yours.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously? Why the faux anger? We are having a discussion. Your free to disagree and offer your own opinion. Got a chip on your shoulder?
My comment about not needing practice with a self loading shotgun at home defense ranges revolves around the comment I also made that IMHO 80-90% of people that buy a shotgun shoot less than a box of shells through it and then stuffs it under the bed to use years later. The semi-auto, self loader is hands down the choice because of two things, they don't need to rack the slide and it can be shot one handed until the magazine is empty.
Feel free to discuss my logic with yours.
No chip. Bored with you and the thread. I will retain the quote.
Have a nice evening.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may or may not have an AR-15 at the house, but I wouldn't see myself likely using it in a home defense situation due to concerns about sending a round into my neighbor's house. Is that a completely ridiculous concern? Feel free to try and change my position on this. I'm all ears and appreciate any insight you can offer!

Bryan

Not with the right ammo. Use Federal Tactical LE Urban loads. They are loaded with 55 grain Nosler or Sierra varmit bullets (real light jacket, super fast expansion).

Green tip is not a good choice.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My 870 would death jam if you got short stroked the slide. Nothing wrong with the gun, just the nature of the beast. It found a new home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom