Inexpensive home defense shotgun advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A shotgun will be fine. The most important thing is get use to it, practice more than just once or twice, be familiar with the total operation, if you are a first time owner and don't when the time comes to really need it you will be more likely to have issues regardless the type weapon. I think the pump shotgun idea from some people has a lot to do with easier show a new owner the understanding of function and not having a round chambered to feel more comfortable about safety. Some people don't understand the auto function and quickly get scared of the type unless they practice and get used to it. So shotgun is king for home defense for new and novice gun owners was born.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may or may not have an AR-15 at the house, but I wouldn't see myself likely using it in a home defense situation due to concerns about sending a round into my neighbor's house. Is that a completely ridiculous concern? Feel free to try and change my position on this. I'm all ears and appreciate any insight you can offer!

Bryan

I've heard a well know expert in terminal ballistics say that an AR-15 with the right defensive ammunition is safer to use inside a home than a 9mm handgun with self-defense rounds. Also, think about the difference in recoil between a AR and a shotgun which one are you more likely to choose?

Bottom line is that a shotgun still has to be aimed with precision and you can't guarantee where every pellet will go. If you had to shoot a bad guy holding your loved one which weapon would you choose?

Read the post by Docgkr over on the P&S forum.
https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...ome-defense-carbine-vs-shotgun-vs-pistol.151/

Last edited:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"Any gun will work ... Some work better with training". Captain Obvious.

To that, the Savage, Stoeger or Mossberg would be good choices. If they have never shot a pump or S/S before, if they could shoot one prior it may facilitate their decision.

I am no expert on SD (I rely on my dingo and evil wife's talons ... Cuz' if they get by them they are likely going to be bullet proof) but from what I have read the AR with the right bullet is an excellent home defense platform. That said, they do require a little more effort to maintain than a pump gun.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not with the right ammo. Use Federal Tactical LE Urban loads. They are loaded with 55 grain Nosler or Sierra varmit bullets (real light jacket, super fast expansion).

Green tip is not a good choice.

Thanks for the info. For myself I have admittedly never really considered an AR for home defense but I'm very comfortable with them so this is something to think about. I really do not enjoy shooting a 12 gauge shotgun at all and find it almost difficult to recommend one to others, but for cost vs. effectiveness it's a good choice. Personally I have a pistol ready to go at the house for this purpose.

If you want a cheap shotgun, find a used Mossberg 500. Load it, and practice, with #1 Buck.

This isn't for me. I have a few 500s and I agree they're a good choice. The problem is sending someone who is not particularly gun savvy out in the wilderness to find a good deal on a used gun. I'm afraid the used market would be somewhat intimidating for someone who doesn't know guns.

I've heard a well know expert in terminal ballistics say that an AR-15 with the right defensive ammunition is safer to use inside a home than a 9mm handgun with self-defense rounds. Also, think about the difference in recoil between a AR and a shotgun which one are you more likely to choose?

Bottom line is that a shotgun still has to be aimed with precision and you can't guarantee where every pellet will go. If you had to shoot a bad guy holding your loved one which weapon would you choose?

Read the post by Docgkr over on the P&S forum.
https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...ome-defense-carbine-vs-shotgun-vs-pistol.151/

This is a great point. I can shoot an AR way better than I can a pistol. I really don't like a shotgun for anything I need other than snakes out in the country and the last several times I've used my Judge for that. Also, thanks for the link. I'll give a read soon!

"To that, the Savage, Stoeger or Mossberg would be good choices. If they have never shot a pump or S/S before, if they could shoot one prior it may facilitate their decision.

I am no expert on SD (I rely on my dingo and evil wife's talons ... Cuz' if they get by them they are likely going to be bullet proof) but from what I have read the AR with the right bullet is an excellent home defense platform. That said, they do require a little more effort to maintain than a pump gun.

So if they go that route the Stevens isn't total crap? That's my main concern....having them spend $190 when another hundred would have gotten them something considerably better.

I'm intrigued by the AR arguments here. I doubt my friends would be interested in that but I certainly am now!

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Bryan

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The comment about short stroking a pump would go for just about anything. People need to train with their weapon whether it be for self defense or hunting. You hand me a shotgun I'm not used to, I'll fumble the safety when a rooster gets up. Hand me my Auto 5 and the bird is down and I dont even remember turning the safety on and off while the bird was up...its just muscle memory. It amazes me how many people buy guns and dont go use them on a regular basis and keep their skills fresh. I'm not pretending to be some tacticool commando...but I do go to the range alot and would only use a weapon for self defense if I'm totally comfortable with it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. For myself I have admittedly never really considered an AR for home defense but I'm very comfortable with them so this is something to think about. I really do not enjoy shooting a 12 gauge shotgun at all and find it almost difficult to recommend one to others, but for cost vs. effectiveness it's a good choice. Personally I have a pistol ready to go at the house for this purpose.

An AR is about as good an option as they come in the right configuration AND with the right ammo.

But a shotgun is also a formidable tool. Can be for the user too, but they are very versatile overall and can be had without breaking the bank. I think that's why they are so popular.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But a shotgun is also a formidable tool. Can be for the user too, but they are very versatile overall and can be had without breaking the bank. I think that's why they are so popular.

Agree. It's hard to articulate to a gun newbie why they should spend $500-1000 when there's a <$200 option staring right there at them. :)

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The comment about short stroking a pump would go for just about anything. People need to train with their weapon whether it be for self defense or hunting. You hand me a shotgun I'm not used to, I'll fumble the safety when a rooster gets up. Hand me my Auto 5 and the bird is down and I dont even remember turning the safety on and off while the bird was up...its just muscle memory. It amazes me how many people buy guns and dont go use them on a regular basis and keep their skills fresh. I'm not pretending to be some tacticool commando...but I do go to the range alot and would only use a weapon for self defense if I'm totally comfortable with it.

This is reality for us gun folk, but not for everyone. I'm for all good people owning guns even if they don't routinely practice with them, but I do see your point. I think I'm going to shoot my shotguns this weekend. :)

Bryan

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep,pump shotguns are good for HD and priced reasonable(Mossy 500 e.g) and why they are so popular. Practice is key with any shotty or pistol or rifle...

Latest posts

Top Bottom