Integrity of powder?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu113

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does gun powder have a shelf life? I inherited a good bit of powder. Can anyone advise on the effects of age on powder and primers. Will it "go bad" with age. Powder came from the dry region of California. Kept dry. I do not know how old the powder is, however, there is one can of "alcan" powder. Powder cans have been opened as he loaded several different calibers. I also received several thousand primers of the same age. I am thinking like 30+ years. There was also some loaded 45 rounds of the same collection. They do go bang, without any problems. Any info would be appreciated.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shelf life??????? No, not a specific time period. Yes, it does not last indefinitely. Best way to check is smell. A vinegary smell is BAD. Smell new powder and compare. Stable temp, low humidity, in original container is best. Same for primers, as well as ammo, but they will last a LONG time.

I have several powders that are 15 - 20 yrs old. Have kept them for occasional use as a personal experiment on life of the powder, I have had some go bad and some are still good. No correlations as to brand or type. Have a brick of primers that are 33 years old, never had a misfire.

There are old ammo finds listed for sale, many 100 years old.

Powder, primers and ammo DO go bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom