Interesting Ron Paul video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point is simply that they believed that everyone has the right to freely practice religion as they see fit without ridicule.

No problems with reading completion here. I've read the first amendment, wall of separation letter and all that jive.

I'm disagreeing with you on the "without ridicule" thing, because the cats I mentioned in in my post did just that...they openly ridiculed various religions and churches. The author of your quote there is no exception. They believed people should be able to freely practice it, but they certainly made fun of it a good bit.

Granted. Ridiculing someone is a right. However, ridiculing someone for enjoying their individual liberty while carrying on about the importance of liberty is sheer hypocrisy.

That is simply not what hypocrisy is.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problems with reading completion here. I've read the first amendment, wall of separation letter and alll that jive.

I'm disagreeing with you on the "without ridicule" thing, because the cats I mentioned in in my post did just that...they openly ridiculed various religions and churches. The author of your quote there is no exception.

So you disagree with Franklin (who you used as an example) when he says:

I have ever let others enjoy their religious sentiments, without reflecting on them for those that appeared to me unsupportable and even absurd.

That is simply not what hypocrisy is.

Sure it is.

hy·poc·ri·sy   [hi-pok-ruh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural -sies.
a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
an act or instance of hypocrisy.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said:

3. To defame someone's religion by calling their beliefs mythical, absurd, superstitious, or worthless flies in the face of what our founding fathers believed and fought for. Shame on you for crying "LIBERTY" while insulting millions of people for exercising theirs.

How can this fly in the face of what the founding fathers believed, when the founding fathers did exactly this, openly and without shame?

Please explain.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure it is.

hy·poc·ri·sy   [hi-pok-ruh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural -sies.
a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
an act or instance of hypocrisy.

I remember when I got my first dictionary, too.

It's not hypocritical to criticize the actions and beliefs of another person while simultaneously believing in and supporting their right to those actions and beliefs. Not only is it not hypocrisy, it's not even cognitive dissonance. There's not even a contradiction there.

Just ask your boy Jefferson, who said "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

We're talking about a dude who literally rewrote the bible to, and I'm paraphrasing here, take all the whackydo supernatural stuff out and leave the good parts.

Last edited:

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As a deist I look at the natural world and it's order to conclude the Creator exists (though I admit that his existence or non-existence can't be proven or disproven). As a side note... I don't call the Creator "god" as anything can be called god (guns, money, OU sports, etc).

As a deist I have no fictional books (Bible, Quran, Talmud) of revelation of a god speaking to mankind through dreams, visions, miracles or hearsay. There is no faith, prayer or rituals to be observed and performed... which are the basis of religion. Unlike the Christian, the Jew or the Muslim... I don't take exception to anyone making fun of deism. I don't become all indignant and pissed off. I don't engage in crusades and wars against competing religions.

Absent all the BS that comprise the various religious cults it's a stretch to say deism is a religion.

Anywayz... time to head down to Dallas to pick up my final load for the week. Then the weekend is mine. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom