Interviewed on TV following mall shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During the course of our conversation, he revealed he'd never fired a handgun. We all agreed that the story needed someone shooting on the range, so why not him? It took a bit of convincing, but he finally agreed to do it.

We had 20 minutes, so I used the opportunity to give a quick safety lesson (all guns are always loaded, finger off trigger unless sights on target and you want to shoot, muzzle awareness, etc) along with a quick, "Here's how you hold the gun," description.

I fired the first five, trying for a small group. (turned out the size of a quarter, which seemed to impress them, even tho the target was about 5-6 yds) so he could watch how/what I did and how the gun kicked, etc.

I loaded up one round to insure against "sympathetic fire," which didn't happen. I loaded up the other 4 and he did fine. Kept them all inside the baseball size center of the target, but he ruined my nice coin-size group! Loaded up the other 5 and he used up all the baseball size area, but all were still in there.

Then, I thought he'd like to do some rapid fire, about one shot per second. He wanted to shoot the head, so I described the Mozambique drill along with the reasoning behind it. He kept them centered, but just out of the baseball area and fired 2 headshots in the targets' would-be eyesockets. He pulled the last shot wide, but he was happy with how he did. Given that these were his first rounds EVER from any type of handgun and we had to cram in a lot of info in a short time, I think he did a wonderful job and told him so.

If I don't hear from him in the next few weeks, (he said he'd send me an email, which is on the card I gave him) I may try to contact him in time for a local match next month.

We'll see!

(sure wish they'd shown the coin-size group, tho!)

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,
I think you did a very nice job. In fact, I would be willing to bet that your answers helped to shape this story. If you had been an idiot, the story likely would have had a much more anti-gun sentiment. The fact that you seemed like a reasonable, articulate, and responsible gun owner squashed any desire the reporter might have had to make this an anti-gun story.

I agree 100%

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was having a conversation with me off camera, prompting my answers.

He asked, "why do you carry a gun?"

That's when I gave my standard response (borne out of long deliberative thought on the answer) "Because I refuse to entrust me life to the whim of another."..........and I felt myself looking a bit too "intense," so I added, "and because a cop is too heavy to carry!"

They cut out that part......probably a good thing!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Job and well done. The FBI agent they interviewed did indeed make some valid points as well, but he was honest when he said yes a CCW could have made a difference on how many bystanders were shot during an active shooter scenario.

All in all a fairly balanced story.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very well presented story. Edited well (suprisingly). Good job representing the pro-carry side of the argument.

I wish they would have left in your line about carrying a cop. That would have been hilarious!

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom