Is it rude to return something at a restaurant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I ordered a sandwich and tasted 1 bite of the meat and just sat it back down and went to eating tye fries. The waitress walks by and asks if everything is good, I really didn't say anything and she really looks at me and i said, "well the fries are good"! She asks if i would like something diff and I said yes, she asks what was wrong with the sandwich and i said "I didn't like the way it tasted."

Is it rude to say I didn't like it?
Is it normal to get a different meal and pay for both meals?

I will say, I've never returned anything or complained at a restaurant before. I'm not sure what the protocol is. I usually give them one chance at good food or I just don't go back.

They charged me for both meals, I paid and i tipped on everything so don't worry about that!!
Service was good, food not so much, Even the second meal.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think so. If you are legitimately not satisfied return it. I'm not saying do it to be an A-Hole, but if the thing tastes bad you shouldn't be required to eat it.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Imo its not rude and at a familiar restaraunt very acceptable. however at a unfamiliar place it may be risky. I usually give a place one chance, my wife gives multiple chances.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my mother in law sends something back everytime we eat somewhere, so i think the restraunts are used to it.

She has to complain about something, everytime..

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not rude at all. Just be polite to the server. You should NOT have been charged for the thing you didn't like. When you saw that on your bill, you should have first asked the server to take iit off, and if she didn't, asked to speak with the manager.

Treating waitstaff with courtesy will get you a long ways. They put up with horse's asses whose only power in life is to come into a restaurant and order a meal. In a a lot of high end restaurants, the servers often make more money than some of their customers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom