Is it still cost effective to reload?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it's worthwhile. It goes one of two ways, you shoot a little, so you spend an hour or so a week reloading, shoot a few on the weekends, and that's that. Or you shoot a LOT, and consequently reload a lot.

If you're the first case, you can get a turret or single stage, it takes a little longer per round, but you're not loading thousands of rounds at once, most likely a hundred will be the most at one setting, so not a big deal. A basic turret press and set up will be paid off quickly even at the low rate you will be loading.

If you're the second, you need a progressive, and a good one at that. You want to load several hundred an hour, because you will likely shoot several hundred a week. Again, at this rate, you will pay off the loading equipment quickly. IE, I can load .38/.357 for .15 cents per round jacketed, or <.10 cents for cast lead.

Excluding the loading equipment, just the component cost can be estimated to be about half the cost of loaded ammo (for anything other than 9mm). Rifles (other than calibers available as milsurp) maybe even less than that; a third or so the cost of loaded ammo. IE, I load .243 Win for less than .50 cents a round with Hornady VMax bullets. Even Rem CoreLokt at Walmart is almost $1 a round.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here, read my posts in this thread on that.

Unless you know someone with different presses to try somewhat extensively, as in, not just playing with it for 15 min, but actually spend some time reloading on, I would recommend a Lee turret for someone new to reloading if they're planning on loading primarily pistol calibers. The one I have was my father in laws, and he got it used if I remember correctly, so it's seen 20 years of service and still works. They're not as nice (by far) as the Dillon or Hornady progressives, but they are plenty for the new reloader, and cheap. At ~ $110 for a turret kit, you can pay it off fast.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the ammo. For the vast majority, yes, it is still cost effective, but it does require time. Its kind of a hobby.

That being said, you can save a lot of money and put together far better rounds than what you can buy from the stores.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three of my calibers really demand reloading. .338 Win Mag, .338-06, and .375 H&H are pretty pricy, and the .338-06 is rarely seen in stores. Outdoor America usually has it, but it's north of sixty bucks a box. .338 win mag is as bad or worse, and the last .375 I priced was eighty-something:explode:.

With my current supply of brass, I can load any of these for under $20 a box if I stay away from exotic bullets. Some of the high tech bullets run over a buck each.

I have a couple of Lyman T-Mag presses, and really like them. Lee is less expensive and should work just fine. I just found good deals on these presses used. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom