Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He is trying to relive his youth. That dream rifle he alway wanted.
Wrong dog breath. In my youth we used bow & arrows and rode buffalo into battle. :P

Seriously the weapons of my youth were WW2 surplus or lever actions & revolvers. I never handled a semi-auto until I joined the military and what the Coast Guard issued back in the mid-70s for boarding operations were junk. Even the 1911s were WW2 leftovers that rattled when you shook them. At least they always worked. The shotguns were Mossberg if I remember correctly and they were reliable too. The M-16s everyone I knew hated. I hear the CG is using SMGs for boarding now. A vast improvement I am sure.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted a kac556 but when ruger quit servicing them I quit
wanting one.

An AC-556 is the only NFA item I ever tried to buy. I made the deal, paid for the gun, dealer helped me with the paperwork, etc... About a month later he declared bankruptcy and bailed outta town. I lost the money on that deal...don't recall how much but it was a lot for me. This was in about 2002 or 2003 so, whatever they were going for at the time.

Surprisingly enough, I don't hate Mini-14s because of that bad experience.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IDK, the mini is kind of iconic. It’s stands alone, not copied and regurgitated by a thousand mimics. I like both. The ease of the AR build or the purpose built mini.
YMMV

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you don't have any problem using sub-standard magazines that are nearly universally thought of as unreliable, but you won't use one of the most capable, reliable, battle proven rifles on the planet.

Got it...

Like I said...irrational.
You say it is reliable but I picked up enough bent, dinged, etc rounds at the range to know they are not that reliable. Every 3 gun match at the OKCGC, every AR silhouette match, etc I always found rounds that either did not feed correctly or something else went wrong. I found a few that looked like they had been torn in two.

Look, you can be an AR fanboy if you want. That is your business and I find it irrational, but that is your choice. Mine is almost anything but an AR. Even an SKS is preferable to me.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could say I like them even though they are obsolete

IMG_4106.png
IMG_4107.png
IMG_4109.png
IMG_4110.png
IMG_4111.png
IMG_4112.png

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You say it is reliable but I picked up enough bent, dinged, etc rounds at the range to know they are not that reliable. Every 3 gun match at the OKCGC, every AR silhouette match, etc I always found rounds that either did not feed correctly or something else went wrong. I found a few that looked like they had been torn in two.

Look, you can be an AR fanboy if you want. That is your business and I find it irrational, but that is your choice. Mine is almost anything but an AR. Even an SKS is preferable to me.

An SKS is preferable... Why doesn't that surprise me? Too bad they don't take ProMags. An SKS and a sword and you're all set for the zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, I say the AR is reliable not because I'm a fanboy (I am) but because it is reliable.

Imagine how shocked you must've been to find match brass or ammo on a range after a match, that was likely reloaded by who knows who, that might have caused a malfunction. We'll just disregard the fact you don't know where any of that ammo/brass came from or if it was actually used in an AR.

Well if that isn't proof the AR is a piece of crap then nothing is.

Whatever, dude... I'm about 99% sure you make up most of this stuff as you go along.

Latest posts

Top Bottom