Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched a friend die because his M-16 jammed, is that good enough reason to hate them?
You said you were in the Coast Guard in the 70's right? How did this happen? The only Coast Guardsman to die between 1928 and 1990 was Petty Officer Edgar Culbertson, who drowned while assisting the Duluth Police Department in a rescue mission to rescue three boys who were stuck on a pier in Lake Superior during a severe thunderstorm on April 30, 1967.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong dog breath. In my youth we used bow & arrows and rode buffalo into battle. :P

Seriously the weapons of my youth were WW2 surplus or lever actions & revolvers. I never handled a semi-auto until I joined the military and what the Coast Guard issued back in the mid-70s for boarding operations were junk. ......REDACTED.......I hear the CG is using SMGs for boarding now. A vast improvement I am sure.
Current USCG issue is an M4 carbine or a MK18 CQBR, no SMGs to be found, as they too are inferior systems.

1705207049032.png

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
An SKS is preferable... Why doesn't that surprise me? Too bad they don't take ProMags. An SKS and a sword and you're all set for the zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, I say the AR is reliable not because I'm a fanboy (I am) but because it is reliable.

Imagine how shocked you must've been to find match brass or ammo on a range after a match, that was likely reloaded by who knows who, that might have caused a malfunction. We'll just disregard the fact you don't know where any of that ammo/brass came from or if it was actually used in an AR.

Well if that isn't proof the AR is a piece of crap then nothing is.

Whatever, dude... I'm about 99% sure you make up most of this stuff as you go along.
I actually have an SKS promag laying around that I am putting into the bocephus boxes, lol.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong dog breath. In my youth we used bow & arrows and rode buffalo into battle. :P

Seriously the weapons of my youth were WW2 surplus or lever actions & revolvers. I never handled a semi-auto until I joined the military and what the Coast Guard issued back in the mid-70s for boarding operations were junk. Even the 1911s were WW2 leftovers that rattled when you shook them. At least they always worked. The shotguns were Mossberg if I remember correctly and they were reliable too. The M-16s everyone I knew hated. I hear the CG is using SMGs for boarding now. A vast improvement I am sure.
Coast Guard! Isn’t that the glorified border patrol. They get the rest of the military’s hand me downs.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coast Guard! Isn’t that the glorified border patrol. They get the rest of the military’s hand me downs.
Pretty much. Or at least it was when I was in. Luckily the drug smugglers were nowhere near as dangerous as they are now. Most times we stopped a boat with a bunch of drugs, they were busy trying to toss the drugs instead of fighting. Only one time did one fight and of course he killed one and wounded two before being shot. I was below deck and did not see what happened but was told my friend got off one shot before his rifle jammed. Might have been a bad mag or the rifle itself, I was never told. Only thing I know for sure is that a better rifle and my friend might still be alive.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You said you were in the Coast Guard in the 70's right? How did this happen? The only Coast Guardsman to die between 1928 and 1990 was Petty Officer Edgar Culbertson, who drowned while assisting the Duluth Police Department in a rescue mission to rescue three boys who were stuck on a pier in Lake Superior during a severe thunderstorm on April 30, 1967.
That is not correct as some even died in WW2 Normady landings, and in Vietnam. I also know my friend was killed off HI when we stopped a ship smuggling drugs. I just looked, 1918 died in WW2.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow #HoLeChit, you got me curious so I did some fast research because what you posted did not match anything I remember from my service days. The numbers are all over the place and contradict the hell out of each other. Some say only one died like you posted, others have almost 2500 between the 40s and mid 70s. I am going to have to really research this and reach out to some other old Coasties I know online.

Thanks for posting it. You got me curious as all get out.

Oh and I have seen recent pics with CG using what looks like MP5s.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay just go ahead and drive a dagger thru my heart. I just read that the Coast Guard switched from The Sig 229 to the Glock 19. Is nothing sacred?

Latest posts

Top Bottom