Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is not correct as some even died in WW2 Normady landings, and in Vietnam. I also know my friend was killed off HI when we stopped a ship smuggling drugs. I just looked, 1918 died in WW2.
What was your friends name? I would like to read about him and the incident. I’ve been on a big drug smuggling/apprehending fraudster learning binge recently.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay just go ahead and drive a dagger thru my heart. I just read that the Coast Guard switched from The Sig 229 to the Glock 19. Is nothing sacred?
Sacred cows and outdated ideals have no place in arming those who may be in harms way to be tactically effective.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What was your friends name? I would like to read about him and the incident. I’ve been on a big drug smuggling/apprehending fraudster learning binge recently.
First name was Ken, I never knew his last name as everyone called him Hoover after an unfortunate vacuum cleaner incident.

You know how it was. We were all young and did not take things to seriously. I really wish I had learned the full names of several guys I served with but those things do not matter to an 18 year old. The only person who's full name I remember was Vincent David Clapp. I imagine you can figure out why.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dated? Yes. Obsolete? Not even close.

This is spot on, "obsolete" and "optimal" are two different things.

Wheel guns still are viable but it's when people try to claim they are the best choice by citing a very edge case like shooting from inside a pocket and applying it broadly that we get in trouble.

As long as you don't try to make them something they are not you're good.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First name was Ken, I never knew his last name as everyone called him Hoover after an unfortunate vacuum cleaner incident.

You know how it was. We were all young and did not take things to seriously. I really wish I had learned the full names of several guys I served with but those things do not matter to an 18 year old. The only person who's full name I remember was Vincent David Clapp. I imagine you can figure out why.
So "Ken" was on his uniform name tape/tag instead of his last name?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did this devolve into picking on the Coasties, and or Rick? This was supposed to be picking on Ruger!! Which doesn't even rhyme with Rick!
I really tried to like the Mini! I like Rick didn't like the M-16, not for Rick's reasons, but because I didn't think that tiny little bullet was up to the task. My T.O. weapon was the M-14 so I wanted to like it's small brother, but alas Ruger screwed the pooch on that one! The sad part is they were really good at making 22,s and after all the mini is just a fat cased 22... How, oh why, Ruger???

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched a friend die because his M-16 jammed, is that good enough reason to hate them?
I am sorry for the loss of your friend and others like him. Hope they did not believe that the ARs were self cleaning. and the powder they were using back then was very poor stuff. I never had a problem with mine.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said you were in the Coast Guard in the 70's right? How did this happen? The only Coast Guardsman to die between 1928 and 1990 was Petty Officer Edgar Culbertson, who drowned while assisting the Duluth Police Department in a rescue mission to rescue three boys who were stuck on a pier in Lake Superior during a severe thunderstorm on April 30, 1967.

What about when Kevin Costner drowned in that sinking boat, and that chicken **** Ashton Kucher just swam off and left him?

Latest posts

Top Bottom