Issue with Sportsworld

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a Sportsworld bash session. I am looking for honest feedback on how to handle a specific situation. I have bought several guns and multiple accessories, ammo etc from Sportsworld over the years. They don't always give the greatest customer service or have the best prices, but overall I've been very pleased with them. I have also referred several others to them over the years when they have asked where they should go in Tulsa.

So here's my situation. In early August I took my old side by side in to see if they could replace a spring for me as one of the firing pins was not striking the primer with enough force to make it go bang. I was hoping to get the gun back by dove season, but realized that may not happen unless they happened to have the spring I needed in stock. As soon as I show them the gun, I am told it will cost at least $50 just to look at it whether or not they were able to fix it or not. This was surprising to me as I have had a couple of shotguns worked on there in the past and this was not the practice previously. I was told since it was an older gun that this was the policy. I told them to go ahead as I was happy with the work they had done in the past and knew they would take care of me. I was told I would get a call within a couple of days to let me know what the problem was exactly.

About a week goes by, and no call. I follow up with them and after several minutes on hold I am told they have not had a chance to diagnose the problem but will get back to me.

Another couple of weeks go by and still no call. I call again and am told that it is in fact a weak spring and they are going to have to order me one. No problem. At this point I figure I'm out of luck for the dove opener, but I figured that was the case anyway. I am told it shouldn't take that long and they will order the part and get me fixed up ASAP.

Now we're in about mid September and they've had my gun well over a month. I am forced to call once again because I have still not received a call. At this point I am told that they had some difficulty finding the part but it shouldn't be much longer.

Fast forward about 2 months and I call them again two days ago (Monday the 22nd). I call very politely to inquire about the status of my gun that they have had for 3 months! I am told that the reason it has taken so long is that they had to replace the firing pin and spring in one of the barrells, and that the other barrell needs it as well. They were very apologetic that they have had my gun for so long and agreed that it should not have taken this long. I was then told that the gunsmith would call me back that day to explain why the spring and firing pin were replaced and why the other barrell needed the same. (I was having trouble understanding this and the lady I spoke with could not explain it.) She guaranteed me that someone would call me back the same day and that they would possibly have the gun ready for pick up.

It has now been two more days and once again I have not received a phone call.

I will be returning to Sportsworld tomorrow to retrieve my shotgun.

Now for my question: How should I handle this situation? Am I entitled to pay for the work that I never authorized? (replacement of firing pin and spring in both barrels when I only asked for a new spring). Should I still be required to pay the $50 for looking at my gun and then keeping it for over three months and making no attempt whatsoever to make contact with me? Should I ask them to just return the gun to me as is and only pay for parts?

As you can see from the timeline I believe I have been more than patient with them. I have finally reached the point that I am going to take my gun to someone else. Any input would be appreciated.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man.

I think I would ask for it back with no parts if they haven't already replaced them. Then order them on your own, or take it to Honeybee or bring it over here and we'll do it together. It's unfortunate that they did you like that.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man.

I think I would ask for it back with no parts if they haven't already replaced them. Then order them on your own, or take it to Honeybee or bring it over here and we'll do it together. It's unfortunate that they did you like that.

I plan to take it to Don. I think he had just had surgery and that's why I took it to Sportsworld to begin with. I appreciate the offer to help me out!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This.

That and I would have raised hell two months ago at least. :D

Yeah, I should have pressed the issue sooner, but when I had a day off work I spent it in the woods. Finally got a little vacation time for the holidays and figured it was time to put a stop to it.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to take it to Don. I think he had just had surgery and that's why I took it to Sportsworld to begin with. I appreciate the offer to help me out!

No problem at all. I enjoy putting faces to names here and helping somebody work through a problem with as little or much input as they wish.

Donald should be able to get you taken care of, just watch you, you may find yourself thinking about a re-bluing while you're there!

If you run into any issues, let me know, again, I'm happy to help (and I get pretty decent discounts at most online retailers.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: As you can see from the timeline I believe I have been more than patient with them. I have finally reached the point that I am going to take my gun to someone else. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't have an answer for you as to how you should handle this and not to bash SW as I've moved on from my bad experience with the old man that happened many moon ago at their S. Lewis location.
You're at their mercy right now as they have your gun with their parts and labor involved. Hopefully they treat you right. IMO, deal with someone other than the old man if he's even still around.
To those that have good experiences with them, that's great. Wish I could say the same.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem at all. I enjoy putting faces to names here and helping somebody work through a problem with as little or much input as they wish.

Donald should be able to get you taken care of, just watch you, you may find yourself thinking about a re-bluing while you're there!
If you run into any issues, let me know, again, I'm happy to help (and I get pretty decent discounts at most online retailers.

This is definately a possibility. He just re-blued an old Winchester for me that came out better than I ever could have imagined.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there and done that there with almost the same outcome. A spring for a rifle that took them months to get in and install. And when I called to inquire after several weeks between calls the old dude got smart with me. We actually got into it and I was invited to come and get my gun. And I did. And took it to someone else and it was done in nothing flat. I still go in and have spent much money there since then as my dad was a loyal customer of theirs in their old location. Just will never have anything repaired or serviced there again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom