j-frame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my 642. It's my primary carry gun in the summer. Accuracy out of it is fantastic, although shooting it fast AND accurate takes a little bit of practice. I do prefer steel guns, but this is much nicer for pocket carry and recoil is not bad with +P Gold Dots. Don't think I'd want one in .357 though.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d go with an aluminum framed Centennial. I’d keep it on my weak side, in a good quality front pocket holster. This way I could put my hand in the pocket, on the grip, thumb on the frame guarding against a snag during a potential draw, and still be able to wave my obvious strong hand around while talking.

This way the gun could serve as a backup when concealment was easier for a larger primary, or serve as the primary in the summer or for that quick run to the stop & rob. Either way it’s always your weak hand gun and always in the same place, no thought process involved.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this topic has been brought up...I will ask a similar question...I am thinking of getting another J frame...I am torn between the M&P 360 and the Model 60. I like the sight system on the 360 but I love the weight of the Model 60 being all stainless steel. the M&P 360 comes in either the 1 7/8 inch barrel or the 3' barrel. The Model 60 comes in a 2 1/8 inch barrel or a 3' barrel.

Is there any real diffrence in 2 1/8 inch and 3 inches for carry? I have a 642 and I love it. I like the idea of extra length for increased sight radius but how practical is a 3 inch J frame for carry? Any thoughts or suggestions.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Since this topic has been brought up...I will ask a similar question...I am thinking of getting another J frame...I am torn between the M&P 360 and the Model 60. I like the sight system on the 360 but I love the weight of the Model 60 being all stainless steel. the M&P 360 comes in either the 1 7/8 inch barrel or the 3' barrel. The Model 60 comes in a 2 1/8 inch barrel or a 3' barrel.

Is there any real diffrence in 2 1/8 inch and 3 inches for carry? I have a 642 and I love it. I like the idea of extra length for increased sight radius but how practical is a 3 inch J frame for carry? Any thoughts or suggestions.

3" model 60-4. Thats my 640 with it.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how comfortable is the 4 inch to carry?...are the front sights pinned so aftermarket sights can by put on?...I know I love my 642...and I regulary carry a 4 inch 1911 IWB but a revolver is a diffrent beast all together...I would apreciate any insight you could provide.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how comfortable is the 4 inch to carry?...are the front sights pinned so aftermarket sights can by put on?...I know I love my 642...and I regulary carry a 4 inch 1911 IWB but a revolver is a diffrent beast all together...I would apreciate any insight you could provide.

The first two shown are J-frames, this is a K-frame.
4" model 67 .38spl.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suggest buying one I currently carry a 442 or my block 27 and the recoil from the glock is much worse than the little j frame. its a very easy pistol to conceal and fun to shoot aswell.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After seeing all these BEAutiful Smith's I am almost ashamed to write this:anyone:
But...consider this 20% more firepower in a SS frame....Taurus 856
I prefer the spurred, because if I need/want to cock it I can.
Pocket carry I put my thumb on the hammer to draw, no snag.
I usually carry it in a Don Hume PCCH, very comfortable.
Thanks GED for the Thumbs Down Grip, it closed my groups, not to mention the wear and tear on my left thumb an finger...:D
OH did I mention its a 6 Shot:D

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing all these BEAutiful Smith's I am almost ashamed to write this:anyone:
But...consider this 20% more firepower in a SS frame....Taurus 856
I prefer the spurred, because if I need/want to cock it I can.
Pocket carry I put my thumb on the hammer to draw, no snag.
I usually carry it in a Don Hume PCCH, very comfortable.
Thanks GED for the Thumbs Down Grip, it closed my groups, not to mention the wear and tear on my left thumb an finger...:D
OH did I mention its a 6 Shot:D

Actually, ldp4570 was the guy who gave you that advice, not me. But yeah...that's how I shoot too. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom