Jeep TJ Death Wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a good amount of time chasing my '04 TJ death wobble. I personally changed ball joints, track bar, drag link, upper and lower control arms, and front shocks. Still had wobble.
Took it to the big offroad shop in Yukon. Great owner and they did some troubleshooting and replaced wheels/tires and put a different track bar on. It helped, but did not alleviate the problem. I retorqued everything after a few hundred miles and that didn't help.
Short story now long... anyone know of an OKC/surrounding area shop that has knowledge and a history of success resolving TJ death wobble?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a good amount of time chasing my '04 TJ death wobble. I personally changed ball joints, track bar, drag link, upper and lower control arms, and front shocks. Still had wobble.
Took it to the big offroad shop in Yukon. Great owner and they did some troubleshooting and replaced wheels/tires and put a different track bar on. It helped, but did not alleviate the problem. I retorqued everything after a few hundred miles and that didn't help.
Short story now long... anyone know of an OKC/surrounding area shop that has knowledge and a history of success resolving TJ death wobble?
Is it lifted? If so how and how much?

I've heard pretty good things about that shop in Yukon. I've had an alignment done there but that's it. Did they not have any other ideas?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you referring to Iron Goat Garage?

Lift Kit? Big tires? If so then the whole geometry has changed on your steering and front axle.
I agree.
I don’t know anything about the shop in yukon, so I won’t say anything bad, but when I hear, wheels, tires, trackbar, it sounds like most shops that see a chance to sell things, but don’t know how to fix the problem.
Could be completely wrong. Mr. Glock is right. They possibly changed the whole geometry of the jeep.
I would start with the small things and work through each item.
Track bar. Properly adjusted
Steering arm
Shocks
And so on. Sometimes they can take time to figure out.

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No suspension lift. Small body puck lift. Little (29.5") tires with 15" steelies. Yes, the Goat had it for a few weeks. They had it feeling good, but still baby wobbled often and has continued to worsen. Now routine full death wobbles again.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I had my TJ it seems like I tried everything and took every recommendation, but never completely eliminated the death wobble. Finally I just accepted it; if you’re gonna have big tires and lifted suspension on a jeep you’ll just have to plan around it.
Let’s say you got a solid front end and keep it in good shape. Buy some tires that don’t hurt too bad and accept you’ll only get 50% wear. You’ll love it nice smooth driving. Now frequently rotate your tires to keep the wave pattern at bay. Once you feel the wobble or waves in the tread; they become off road only tires. Sell them or use them just stop running them daily and get a new set.
You can also replace them in pairs. Front gets new tires. Old front tires get moved to the back and so on.
Or just run smaller, lighter street tires for your daily and switch to your big off roads as needed.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned 1 Jeep and that was for only 3 days .
It was a 1976 CJ5 Had a leaking head gasket and the owner was going to scrap it.
I told him craigslist would bring him 1600 easy on it and he told me give me 600 and it is yours.
It had some 33" tires on it

I sold it for 1600 and when I crawled under it I was amazed that the steering box actually stayed on this thing.
Super flexy mounting setup and i thought to myself if i keep this thing the first order of business will be to beef up that frame and steering box area.

You could have someone turn the wheel back and forth and watch all of that junk flex.

I would imagine if they have not beefed up that stuff in all those years you will see flex.

Heck the later GM cars and trucks rip the frame where the steering box is mounted.
Gussets become your friend.

Sounds like you need to have someone get under it and look for stuff that is flexing and beef it up.

I chased a death wobble on My V65 Magna and a buddies Yamaha V-Max.
Finally wore out my back tire and got a new one and computer balanced it and NO more death wobble.
He took his back tire/rim to Ajax and had his computer balanced.
No more death wobble.
We were concentrating all our effort in the front of the bike when the rear is where it was originating.

Go figure.
Could be spring rates shock rate and shock angle playing some rolls here.

One thing we noticed was when we had a passenger on the bike the wobble would happen way higher in the MPH range.
You could usually go 140 before it happened.

I wonder if you put say 300-400 lbs in the back of the jeep if the wobble would happen at a higher MPH.

If so i would look at spring and shock.

Sounds like something fun to figure out really.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an 04 TJ that I put 230,000 miles on. Not kidding. I drove to Tulsa for work from Stillwater daily for 10 years. Easy to put those kinds of numbers up.

Without fail, every 30,000 miles or so I would get a death wobble from hell and the solution every time was to replace the steering stabilizer up front. <$75 and 10 min work. I'd go to NAPA and get the USA made stronger one that was for the Rubicon. Instant fix every time. My setup was simple just a 2" spacer lift and 31"x10.5 tires. Nothing serious.

Good luck. That can be scarry as hell.

This is what I'm talking about. If you haven't replaced this don't spend any money anywhere else until you do.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/skyj...VcRZMCh1mYQUwEAQYBSABEgLKTvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Latest posts

Top Bottom