Jeep TJ Death Wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I had this problem on my '46 CJ-2A; cured it by converting from 2 piece tie rod to one piece. I never had this problem on my '62 CJ-3B. What does the online Jeep forums say about this problem?
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-death-wobble-how-to-fix
"Worn wheel bearings may contribute to death wobble as well and are very easy to test. Jack up one of your Jeep’s front wheels and grasp the tire at the 12- and 6-o’clock position, then wiggle the tire. If you feel movement, then you most likely have a worn wheel bearing. Check the other side as well."

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had this problem on my '46 CJ-2A; cured it by converting from 2 piece tie rod to one piece. I never had this problem on my '62 CJ-3B. What does the online Jeep forums say about this problem?
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-death-wobble-how-to-fix
"Worn wheel bearings may contribute to death wobble as well and are very easy to test. Jack up one of your Jeep’s front wheels and grasp the tire at the 12- and 6-o’clock position, then wiggle the tire. If you feel movement, then you most likely have a worn wheel bearing. Check the other side as well."
Simple enough. I'm on it.

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^@swampratt...My first thought is bikes and off-roady vehicles are two totally different things...however, he might have something....
I would look at tie rods and increase negative caster angle (decrease positive), steering gear mounting stiffness, and steering shaft coupling play.

Joe
Hmmm, putting weight in the rear can increase negative caster, as well a unload front traction, reduce steering force on tie rods, and steering gear mount....
Edit: wait, no, that's wrong...will increase positive...my bad.

Joe

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've ever had a chance to see a death-wobble fairly up-close or seen a good video of it, you'll notice the wheels turn/lean in and out at each other effectively toeing in and out.
Watching the tires you'll see them side load as they try to straighten the wheels.

Joe

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After checking some videos it appears there are three different problems...the Jeep Death Wobble, The Super-Duty Shuffle, and the G10 Shake.
They all seem to have different causes.
The Jeep problem looks to be a back and forth steering shake.
I'm leaning toward steering linkage/gearbox stiffness and caster angle.

Joe

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's bump steer, not death wobble though isn't it?
No it knocks it into a death wobble. It won't come out of it until you slow way down or stop. Shakes the Jeep like you are driving over thousands of speed bumps and can be scarry as hell. There is obsoletely no mistaking a death wobble. It's not something you forget.

The first time I experienced it in my 04 TJ it was at 17,000 miles so that rules out most things. The stabilizer fixed it. It's a known issue with a known fix. The dealer "Chris Nickel" couldn't find anything wrong and treated me like I was nuts which really pissed me off. Also, it happened the first few times with zero lift and the factory tires.

Other than hunting I really never took it offroad so wheeling didn't factor into the equation at all.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No it knocks it into a death wobble. It won't come out of it until you slow way down or stop. Shakes the Jeep like you are driving over thousands of speed bumps and can be scarry as hell. There is obsoletely no mistaking a death wobble. It's not something you forget.

The first time I experienced it in my 04 TJ it was at 17,000 miles so that rules out most things. The stabilizer fixed it. It's a known issue with a known fix. The dealer "Chris Nickel" couldn't find anything wrong and treated me like I was nuts which really pissed me off. Also, it happened the first few times with zero lift and the factory tires.

Other than hunting I really never took it offroad so wheeling didn't factor into the equation at all.
Oh I've experienced death wobble and bump steer, they're two completely different things, and one didn't lead to the other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom