John Wayne Westerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a kid I liked all of the John Wayne westerns,,,
Except for The Searchers.

Even back then I thought his character was a total racist,,,
That was before I found out I was 1/8 Cherokee.

As an adult I don't enjoy watching his movies at all,,,
Doesn't matter if it's a western or WW-II,,,
He only ever played one character.

I'll back-up on one of his movies though,,,
North to Alaska was absolutely high-larious.

Aarond

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is/are your favorite John Wayne westerns? I have not seen all of them but I stop on two and watch them almost all the time. These two are in no particular order.

El Dorado
Rio Bravo
Started buying DVDs at Goodwill when I bought a 45" motor coach, thinking it would be nice to have movies to watch when no TV reception is available. As most things I get involved in, I might have gone a tad over board.....approaching 4000 DVDs...it became hunting without a rifle....never knew what I might bag on any day. Have over 100 John Wayne movies, not close to watching all of them. Never was impressed with Wayne's acting. However, a friend's husband was a military/commercial/private pilot. While flying private, he flew Wayne and co-star Ann-Margret to Wayne's Mexico ranch for filming of The Train Robbers. (Was actually filmed in Sierra de Órganos National Park in the town of Sombrerete, Mexico. Maybe Wayne owned ranch nearby, or friend was mistaken.) Stayed there on-set/on-call, flew them elsewhere on breaks. He said Wayne was not acting, he was just the way he was., merely said his lines, being John Wayne.

Wayne movies totaled 140 starting in 1930 with The Big Trail, ending 1976 with The Shootist. Wayne portrayed "Duke" in 1932 "Two-Fisted Law." Maybe where he picked up his famous nick name.

My picks. Really enjoy many of the famous, now gone, co-stars.
The Shootist
True Grit
Hondo
How the West Was Won
Chisum
The Longest Day
Rooster Cogburn
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Green Berets
The War Wagon

Last edited:

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wayne portrayed "Duke" in 1932 "Two-Fisted Law." Maybe where he picked up his famous nick name.
In "Two-Fisted Law" he insisted on using his already-existing nickname in the film, and the director agreed... thought it "fit" Wayne's character.

He got that nickname ("Duke") as a child. It was given to him, facetiously, by a local pharmacist because he was always accompanied - everywhere - by a stray dog named Duke (over time, Wayne just sort of adopted it).

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started buying DVDs at Goodwill when I bought a 45" motor coach, thinking it would be nice to have movies to watch when no TV reception is available. As most things I get involved in, I might have gone a tad over board.....approaching 4000 DVDs...it became hunting without a rifle....never knew what I might bag on any day. Have over 100 John Wayne movies, not close to watching all of them. Never was impressed with Wayne's acting. However, a friend's husband was a military/commercial/private pilot. While flying private, he flew Wayne and co-star Ann-Margret to Wayne's Mexico ranch for filming of The Train Robbers. (Was actually filmed in Sierra de Órganos National Park in the town of Sombrerete, Mexico. Maybe Wayne owned ranch nearby, or friend was mistaken.) Stayed there on-set/on-call, flew them elsewhere on breaks. He said Wayne was not acting, he was just the way he was., merely said his lines, being John Wayne.

Wayne movies totaled 140 starting in 1930 with The Big Trail, ending 1976 with The Shootist. Wayne portrayed "Duke" in 1932 "Two-Fisted Law." Maybe where he picked up his famous nick name.

My picks. Really enjoy many of the famous, now gone, co-stars.
The Shootist
True Grit
Hondo
How the West Was Won
Chisum
The Longest Day
Rooster Cogburn
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Green Berets
The War Wagon
The name Duke was the name of his dog when he was a kid. They were always together and people just started calling both of the Duke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom