Judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 2.5" cylinder so I shoot the 4 ball load. Firing 5 shots and finding 20 holes in the target at 25 feet is very comforting.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked at these since they came out. I think I am past the twin problems, heavy and FUGLY! However, I know .410 ballistics pretty well, and still fail to see much use for this round in a pistol. If I want .45 long Colt, I'll get something lighter that looks like a real gun and is easier to holster/carry/handle. You can buy or load birdshot rounds for the .45 LC that will probably equal the .410 in short range performance since the .410 powder is still burning when it exits a handgun barrel.

"Snakes" is the usual answer to the .410, but I have killed a zillion snakes in my life, most of them with sticks or rocks. I have shot a fair number with whatever I had on me, and none with birdshot except from shotguns.

I think the Judge was made to sell, and has a tough time justifying its existence. CB

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked how the American Rifleman magazine said the Judge shooting 45LC "was mostly on the target" with a Bianchi Cup Silhouette at 25yds

They cut the rifling grooves very shallow on the Judge to help stabilize the shot. It has the side effect of sucking.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like how so many think the Judge has no purpose and yet it is the hottest selling single product design on the market, (and it is not like i see ads on tv for it) so it must be people who are into guns buying it. That said, it hits where I point it (all 3 I own, soon to be 4) and it is the only gun my 73 year old mil will shoot. If shot at targets less than 30 feet (and last time I checked I had not rooms in my house bigger than 30 feet across) even my MIL could put every shot from a judge into a 1 gal milk jug. The 000 buck is the way to go, but if I want something more direct I would use the handgun built 410 slug as it travels over twice as fast than the hottest 45lc load I could find. (1850 fps vs 900 fps)

They are fun to shoot, the ultra lite model is lighter than any 45lc S&W or Colt I have found and the 410 hangun ammo is more readily available than any 45 lc I can find. My ammo dealer has not had 45lc in over a year except for some $30 for 20 rds of SD.
If I am going to shoot out past 30 feet and need a large calibur, I think my 45-70 would be my main go to even over a highly accurate 45 lc.

I guess that this is one thing I will have to agree with my MIL over the naysayers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked at these since they came out. I think I am past the twin problems, heavy and FUGLY! However, I know .410 ballistics pretty well, and still fail to see much use for this round in a pistol. If I want .45 long Colt, I'll get something lighter that looks like a real gun and is easier to holster/carry/handle. You can buy or load birdshot rounds for the .45 LC that will probably equal the .410 in short range performance since the .410 powder is still burning when it exits a handgun barrel.

"Snakes" is the usual answer to the .410, but I have killed a zillion snakes in my life, most of them with sticks or rocks. I have shot a fair number with whatever I had on me, and none with birdshot except from shotguns.

I think the Judge was made to sell, and has a tough time justifying its existence. CB

Federal has new ammo out designed for the judge with quick burning powder.
They advertise 1200FPS out of a Judge. Pretty quick.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like how so many think the Judge has no purpose and yet it is the hottest selling single product design on the market, (and it is not like i see ads on tv for it) so it must be people who are into guns buying it.

Popularity does not automatically equal practicality and applicability...in fact it often equals the opposite.

Lot's folks buy it because it's a novelty. IMHO, anyone that thinks .410 is a viable self defense round is very misinformed...might be good in a pinch, but why choose a less than optimal round when far better alternatives are available for the same money and quality of manufacture?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Latest posts

Top Bottom