Jury Duty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope that didn't inhale sharply as badly as it could have. Either time. Since I grew up enough to realize I could actually wind up in prison if I didn't get at least a little smarter (not think I was smarter, but actually smarter) I have tried very hard to avoid situations that could have that result. Only court I've been in front of was traffic court. So far. But I'm young, so still gotta be careful!
I was a witness in both cases. :)

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of being a juror in Tulsa County x2, Federal once, and some kind of city once.

I may be weird but I enjoy jury duty as I see it a civic duty as an American citizen. Our system was set up so that the average person was passing judgement and not some bureaucrat or king. If no one wants to do, would they want their fate determined by a bureaucrat or king?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first of the three times I have been called is a long story. I tried and tried to tell them to look at the subpoena list and they would find me as a witness for the prosecution. I was the part time jailer on a jail escape. The trustee went for groceries and never came back. They sat us down int the courtroom, the lawyers and judge had a pow wow at his bench for about ten minutes.

They then went for a ten minute break during which time I was grabbed and called into a meeting with the DA, sheriff, chief, and two highway patrolmen. The break over with, Mine was the first name called. The judge was incensed and said he would let the sheriff handle it. It was then when I walked back into the courtroom with my posse behind me including the DA and sheriff. Seeing this, the defense attorney asked if I was acquainted with the case. I said I was a witness for the prosecution and had been trying to tell everyone this but NO ONE WOULD LISTEN.

I was dismissed as a juror.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can confirm. In my pool, they asked each jurors educational level as well. I answered masters degree & was dismissed along with a PhD & an engineer

A similar thing happened to my sister when she was called for jury duty, except the defendant’s lawyer asked them: “All those who have an advanced college degree please raise your hands.” My sister and half a dozen others did so. The lawyer said, “Thank you. Those who raised their hands are excused.”

It was a trial for someone who’d broken into the house of a well-to-do couple and stolen a bunch of jewelry and watches.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished a murder case last week.

Guess what?

Yup got called in another murder case today and in the same courtroom. I came within one vote of being an Alternate on this one.

I’m thinking I need to buy some lottery tickets. My luck has to be about to change.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of being a juror in Tulsa County x2, Federal once, and some kind of city once.

I may be weird but I enjoy jury duty as I see it a civic duty as an American citizen. Our system was set up so that the average person was passing judgement and not some bureaucrat or king. If no one wants to do, would they want their fate determined by a bureaucrat or king?

Sorry, but the "average person" on a jury is scary. I had a co-worker called for jury duty and placed on it in spite of being an OSBI employee. She told me afterwards that she had to inform the other jury members that "Possession with Intent to Distribute" was a more serious crime than just "Possession." None of the other jurors could even imagine that one drug crime was worse than others.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but the "average person" on a jury is scary. I had a co-worker called for jury duty and placed on it in spite of being an OSBI employee. She told me afterwards that she had to inform the other jury members that "Possession with Intent to Distribute" was a more serious crime than just "Possession." None of the other jurors could even imagine that one drug crime was worse than others.
I understand the issue, but would still rather have the average person deciding my fate than some bureaucrat or king type person.

At the same time. Every jury I have sat on the Judge did what I felt was a good job explaining everything and was open to any questions we had.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the issue, but would still rather have the average person deciding my fate than some bureaucrat or king type person.

At the same time. Every jury I have sat on the Judge did what I felt was a good job explaining everything and was open to any questions we had.
We asked the judge to let us review some of the testimony, and he sent a note back telling us we had all the information we needed.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I've been called at least 5 or 6 times; twice in Okmulgee County, twice in Tulsa County and once in Galveston County. The one in Galveston County was a class action lawsuit against BP post the explosion in Texas City at the refinery that killed 15. There were many lawsuits as a result of this explosion. This court case were plaintiffs who were not physically injured just claiming psycological damages. One guy was actually claiming he had sexual performance issues as a result of the explosion and dragged his wife with him (I felt sorry for her). It did go to trial but after a couple of weeks it was settled out of court.

Latest posts

Top Bottom