Just a thought on the NEF 500 s&w single shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
In an NEF single shot rifle.Could you machine a plug that fit like the shell and hold a 209 shotgun primer? Use sabots and shoot like a muzzleloader. Would it be illegal and if so,why . What if thats your only way of ignition (at that time)? I know there is some loopholes here but.....

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For hunting in OK it has to be loaded from the muzzle. Not from the breach. So I think it would be technically illegal to hunt with it. I don't know how the twist rate on the 500 compares with modern muzzle loaders. I do know that my frontstuffers are rifled all the way to where the breach plug starts so I don't know if the chamber cut would foul things up also?

Evan

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was MZ season,i could just put the plug in and load from the muzzle.If the twist rate could be something that is workable,i could go back and forth at the range or the field with a smokeless muzzleloader.
In the hunting field,what would make a machined (removable)plug any different than a screwed in (removable) plug if its not an actual bullet?
It would be easy to make.just wondering about the legalities as far as hunting goes.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would be okay legally in Oklahoma, though I am not sure what twist the 500 barrel has. I fired one of those in an NEF rifle. First shot, "dang! must have held it loose!" Second (last) shot "that hurt!" Darned thing kicks lots more than my .338 Win Mag! I suggested to my friend who owns the thing that he use the barrel for a tomato stake. Your idea sounds better, but take a look at this site. Might be some useful info there:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

Savage is the only current smokeless ML maker that I know of. Those run around $500 last time I checked.

If you are a machinist, you can probably do this cheaper that the folks at the link I posted, but I have some safety concerns, just because it would put you squarely on experimental grounds regarding pressures and performance. I suspect the most likely outcome would be a marginal performer in terms of accuracy, and the worst could be a kaboom.

Also, the commercial conversion can be reconfigured for use in states that do not allow smokeless powder in MLs, and they include plugs that will accept the more primitive primers required in some places.

My recommendation is think about it for a while and decide not to do it. I plan to send an NEF receiver to the pros before next season and get one of their barrels put on. (and I have a great machinist-my oldest son-who could do a conversion for me.) CB

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't plan on it at all.Just sorta thinking of the legalities and if its possible at all.
The recoil is not as bad i had thought it would be.The gun is VERY accurate.i leaned a 2x4 up on a fence and nailed it off-hand at about 80 yards with open sight.Splinters flew out the back like it was being blown up.I think i'm gonna like this one.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was H^R or NEF but one of them offered a muzzle loading rifle. You might check with them to see if they offer a brl and have it fitted to your frame. I know a lot of people who have several brls for the same frame. Look over at Graybeards forums too as there is a good single shot group of guys there.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was H^R or NEF but one of them offered a muzzle loading rifle. You might check with them to see if they offer a brl and have it fitted to your frame. I know a lot of people who have several brls for the same frame. Look over at Graybeards forums too as there is a good single shot group of guys there.

They will sell you all the black powder barrels you want, but have no plans for a smokeless version. I suspect they want to avoid any liability they might face if somebody should put smokeless powder in one of their black powder barrels, having heard there were smokeless ones.

Smokelessmuzzleloadingdotcom will put a barrel on H&R or NEF barrels. I have an NEF 12 ga that I plan to send them this year. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but take a look at this site. Might be some useful info there:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/
Some well informed people on that site concerning the Savage. I have one, and that is where I learned to run mine.Savage is the only current smokeless ML maker that I know of. Those run around $500 last time I checked.

Up to almost $800 for the stainless thumbhole laminated stock.
There are a couple of other manufacturers of smokless muzzloaders, but they are custom builders and they can get quite pricey.

just because it would put you squarely on experimental grounds regarding pressures and performance. I suspect the most likely outcome would be a marginal performer in terms of accuracy, and the worst could be a kaboom.
I would think the Kaboom would more than likely happen without proper proof testing, and thats expensive.

If you are considering a smokeless MZ I'd reccomend the Savage. They pressure test EVERY barrel to over 100,000 psi. No other gun manufacturer does that. Very reliable, and very accurate.

BadWin45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke to H&R back in November and was told that the muzzleloaders and accessory muzzleloader barrels have been discontinued due to lack of sales and they have no plans of resuming production in the foreseeable future. Stinks too 'cause I wanted to have a ML barrel fitted.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the barrel's?! Man,that stinks.I was going to have them fit at least one more for me.There are a some around on the net ,but i can guarantee the price will go up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom