Just finished my AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the specs:
Lilja 23" 1:8 twist Wylde chamber stainless fluted barrel
JP low mass bolt carrier
JP high performance bolt
JP billet upper
Noveske lower
JP adjustable trigger
JP A2 style stock
JP spring and low mass buffer
JP adjustable gas block and gas tube
Clark carbon fiber free float hand guard

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I sure like the way it looks.
I'm looking to go with the Burris PEPR mount and a Bushnell Elite 6500 tactical in 4.5-30X50 scope.
[Broken External Image]

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JP makes a rifle that looks a lot like that.

JK, looks great!

Yeah, but you can't buy a gun from JP with a Lilja barrel. :) From what I understand, Wilson makes JP barrels and they are no doubt great barrels, but I feel as though Dan Lilja makes the best barrel in the world, bar none. Also, I was able to build this gun for quite a bit less than a JP would cost, I got the Noveske lower with no paperwork and I got the Clark custom carbon fiber hand guard which is the lightest and coolest (temperature) hand guard available. So, yeah, a lot of JP parts, but still my custom.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a fantastic looking rifle and the Bushnell Elite 6500 is a great choice.

Any particular reason you're looking at the Burris mount as opposed to something like the Larue mounts?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a fantastic looking rifle and the Bushnell Elite 6500 is a great choice.

Any particular reason you're looking at the Burris mount as opposed to something like the Larue mounts?

I know I pretty much went all out on the rest of this rifle and it probably deserves Larue mounts, but I just can't see how or why they would be superior to the Burris in this instance. Educate me.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I pretty much went all out on the rest of this rifle and it probably deserves Larue mounts, but I just can't see how or why they would be superior to the Burris in this instance. Educate me.

I dont get the Larue thing either. Are they really that much better? I went with ARMS #22s, figured if its good enough for our boys in the sandbox, its good enough for me. ;)

Very nice looking tack driver, docjj!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I just recently started drinking the LaRue Kool-aid. His stuff is flawless - period.

No one guarantees a return-to-zero with any degree of seriousness like LaRue - and for good reason.

I've got two of their mounts and a 16" Stealth upper - the fit/finish of everything is absolutely flawless. The design is tough and meant to be maintained easily. I've removed my mounts and swapped them to the other ARs and then put them back - zero was held well under a 1/4" noticeable difference (which was probably me and not the mount).

I've dinged the mounts up against stuff while climbing in a tree and the finish is amazingly tough (I've used the hell out of this Dillo too and opening pop-can lids is something that I would have thought would scrape the finish off of it and yet it hasn't even worn it - not even a little) not to mention that no amount of dragging through brush or banging around on tree-limbs has changed my zero as of yet.

My groups are way improved with this upper to distances that I would have never thought to even attempt with Iron sights (and its pretty clear that I don't know what I'm doing with Iron sights :) ). It's clear to me that the few extra bucks are definitely worth it.

The Arms mounts on the bottom of my EOTech 553 were good and would maintain a zero to about 50yds with no problem, but when shooting at distances of 100yds or better, I noticed that every time I removed it - it was off by as much as 1/2MOA or better when putting it right back in the same place. It was adjusted correctly and it was a good piece of equipment, but if you're worried about where that extra $30-$50 is going, its money well spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom