Just finished my AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why buy from a company who puts their name on Wal-mart stuff Larue doesn't?I'd say Burris,leupold or Zeiss conquest.

Then you could never own a Remington, Winchester, anything in RealTree/Mossey Oak, Butler-Creek, etc...

Leupold used to sell their cheaper stuff at Walmart - they were replaced with Nikon.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then you could never own a Remington, Winchester, anything in RealTree/Mossey Oak, Butler-Creek, etc...

Leupold used to sell their cheaper stuff at Walmart - they were replaced with Nikon.

You know what I meant:rotflmao: I thought I would be kind to Bushnell and call it "Wal-mart stuff"

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what I meant:rotflmao: I thought I would be kind to Bushnell and call it "Wal-mart stuff"

I get what you're saying man - but I'd bet money that its more perception than experience (not knocking you - I fully get your reasoning - I don't need to go buy all the crappy brands before I know they're crappy - some things are too good to be true and they're not widely used for quality builds for a reason).

But Bushnell is probably the benchmark for cheap scopes. They're better than most scopes in their price-range and if you're looking for standard knobs with a plain duplex reticle, they're probably the best you can buy for under $50.

Aside from that fact, they actually make decent scopes in their Elite series (especially if you're looking for higher magnification, 1/4MOA target knobs, side-focus, and a mil-dot reticle).

I wouldn't let the fact that Wal-Mart sells some of this particular manufacturer's scopes deter me from purchasing one. In my honest opinion, they're a little too expensive for what they are with other scopes out there made by Burris, Millet, Falcon Optics, etc... being cheaper, but I've heard this is because certain Elite series by Bushnell are US made (I don't know this for a fact since I've never looked into buying one due to the price/features issue).

If you're looking to get a 30x scope, I would focus on glass clarity and mechanical accuracy (accuracy and repeatability of knob clicks). I don't personally know anything about the Bushnell's clarity, but I've heard good things about their construction. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't count it out solely on brand name.

Now if it were a Barska...
(I'm only kidding and not trying to start a brand war over optics).

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend had an Elite lay down on him while hunting in Colorado, so I'm biased.It is one thing to hear it and another thing to see it.I understand anything mechanical can break and probably will

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I pretty much went all out on the rest of this rifle and it probably deserves Larue mounts, but I just can't see how or why they would be superior to the Burris in this instance. Educate me.

I don't think I could say it any better than ez bake already did. I'm not one to be a fanboy of whose name is on a product, but when I hear enough pros say it's the best, I listen. After getting a Larue mount, I tend to agree with what they and ez are saying. It's simply flawless. You could say the same for a Bobro mount, which I would rank up there with the Larue.

That is a fine rifle so why would you put a Bushnell on it

The Elite series used to be marketed under the parent corp., Bausch & Lomb. They probably switched it to Bushnell for more name recognition with your average scope user. A lot of the long range shooters pick the Elite over a Leupold because in recent years, Leupold's quality has gone down. They use the adjustments on their scopes constantly and the Leupys have had more issues with holding zero than the Elite has. I own both and for the money, I think you get more scope with the Elite.

The 6500 has a greater magnification range than most other scopes on the market. They do it without making the scope overly heavy, which is something Burris doesn't do. Burris makes good scopes, but it's like putting a tank turret on top of your rifle.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend had an Elite lay down on him while hunting in Colorado, so I'm biased.It is one thing to hear it and another thing to see it.I understand anything mechanical can break and probably will

I fully appreciate this (and I take back the perception vs. experience comment).

I've turned away from high-dollar stuff in the past because of experienced failures. Once a failure like this happens, its hard to let your mind overcome it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
La Rue mounts may well be great...but if you never plan on removing the scope...WHY??? As for return to zero the J.P. mount works just as well as any LaRue, and as long as you have a quarter in your pocket it is as Q.D. as it needs to be! Same for the Armalite one peice mount! Out side of just a chosen few who actually take optics on and off who really ever Q.D.s their scope??

Latest posts

Top Bottom