Kayak ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipissexcellence

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone here fish from a kayak? I am thinking about buying one but have questions about stablity and comfort. Is there a big differance between a $200 kayak and a $800 kayak. Thank for any input.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask your same question on fishing-notebook.com. There is a group that regularly fishes from kayaks. The notebook is pretty popular in the NE part of the state and sometimes you can find a used one on there. But from what I have read up on them there is quiet a bit of difference in some of them. Some are a lot more stable, some allow you to take more gear. Some have pedals you can use to move, others you paddle.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked one up last year, mainly for duck hunting, but I use it for fishing too. I have not had it on big water though. Stability has a lot to do with you, not just the yak. It will take some getting used to. I have a Pelican Castaway 116 11'6" Fishing Kayak. It is a sit on top. I am 6'2" and about 250 lbs, so I dont fit well in the other ones.
You can find some with pedals, rudders, and pretty much every other gadget out there, so it depends waht you want and what you want to spend. Sit on top allows easy access to gear.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hellz yeah I fish from a kayak. There are a lot of us around NE oklahoma that do it.

Look up Northeast Oklahoma Kayak Anglers on Facebook.

As for kayaks, You do get what you pay for..

Academy sells a Preception Pescador 12ft that is a great buy for $499. But starting at about $850 you can get some outstanding, dedicated fishing kayaks that really are worth that extra price.

Here's a forum that will answer just about any question you could ever have
http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfBB3/

gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_nV63txf_0_L_i_nV63txf_L.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fish out of a Native Ultimate 12. It's the most comfortable human-powered boat I've used. Stable enough you can stand up in it if you have good balance.

Room for a decent amount of gear, and plenty of places to put rod holders and the like.

070.JPG

002%2520%25284%2529.JPG

062.JPG

About the only thing it doesn't do well is tackle tricky water. :D
I put the front end under going through some haystacks here. Fried my camera, soaked myself, and had to bail it out with a cup, even with the front skirt. I could have picked a better line and made it through, but I was all 'Hey dudes, watch this!"

DSCN0572.jpg

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive Got 3 and fish'em all. The cheaper $200 range at academy with "keeled" bottoms require alittle more balance. Flatter bottoms obviously more stable, but have never worried about any of them. My first one is a Pelican from Academy, and Is still My Fave. Once You get one, You're hooked. I have a locator on it as well which comes in handy on the lakes, but A Finer Pond Craft Ive Never Had.

:mosh:

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a wilderness Pungo 120 and love how comfortable it is. All the extra features of the more expensive yaks definitely make them more pleasant to be in for hours on end.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a time I was transporting a fishing pole out to the pontoon boat on one of the older Yamaha Wave Runners. I thought it would be neat to troll with it, pulling a multi tri-hook lure, big mistake. Yamahas were top heavy to start out with just sitting on them in calm water was a challenge, and with a 3 pound sand bass, I had my hands full. I finally got him on board. now what do I do with him? I put my foot on him and held him down until I got to the pontoon boat. I guess I put on quite a show trying to reel him and keep my balance at the same time, everyone was laughing. Never do that again. Good luck fishing to all of you.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did not see this happen for myself, so take it as a good story.

I was in Anchorage, Alaska on TDY with the Air Force. Civilian worker there told me of his brother that had ocean going kayak. He decided he would try his luck for halibut out in the ocean just off Anchorage. Supposedly, he hooked a fish of about 150lbs while in the kayak. It drug him all over the place like something out of the movie Moby Dick...... This apparently went on for 1/2 hour or more until the fish got tired and then the fella was able to row the kayak to shore and then reel in the halibut...

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fish out of a Native Ultimate 12. It's the most comfortable human-powered boat I've used. Stable enough you can stand up in it if you have good balance.

Room for a decent amount of gear, and plenty of places to put rod holders and the like.

070.JPG

002%2520%25284%2529.JPG

062.JPG

About the only thing it doesn't do well is tackle tricky water. :D
I put the front end under going through some haystacks here. Fried my camera, soaked myself, and had to bail it out with a cup, even with the front skirt. I could have picked a better line and made it through, but I was all 'Hey dudes, watch this!"

DSCN0572.jpg

Me, too - a super boat! I've also fished out of my wife's Wilderness Tarpon, another good kayak. There is a difference between a $200 and an $800 kayak! If you can get down to Central Texas a couple of the big kayak dealerships put on demo days where you can try out many different models. My wife picked hers up at one of them a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom