KC hotel and attraction suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the crown plaza was a stunning hotel at one time, had a natural cliff face as part of the lobby. i don't remember how close the salt mines are but i think they do tours

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the crown plaza was a stunning hotel at one time, had a natural cliff face as part of the lobby. i don't remember how close the salt mines are but i think they do tours

We've stayed at the crown plaza a couple of times. The lobby is an acre or more in size with the rock formation/jungle and waterfall way up there. Don't remember the exact height. Tropical birds freely flew through the lobby and hung out on the flora.
Ice rink right outside, and a sky walk to the shopping area.
Bring your thick wallet when shopping there. Some of the most unique items I've ever seen though.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've stayed at the Hilton garden inn downtown several times. The hotel is nice but It's in a pretty rough area. I honestly wouldnt recommend it though. Last time I went up there the swat team was lobbing gas at Pcp freak shooting at them from the third floor. Ended up staying at a comfort inn down the road and having an awkward breakfast with one of the defendants on my case... there's a nice holiday inn on the mo side of the river

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been through KC a few times but never been to KC. Really enjoyed this trip. Headed to Truman's home in the morning then my home.

For those that may be interested, the WWI museum is outstanding, Arabia Steamboat was good, and food and beverages were good.

I would go to the WWI museum again (I doubt my wife would though).

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been through KC a few times but never been to KC. Really enjoyed this trip. Headed to Truman's home in the morning then my home.

For those that may be interested, the WWI museum is outstanding, Arabia Steamboat was good, and food and beverages were good.

I would go to the WWI museum again (I doubt my wife would though).

Thanks for all the recommendations.

So what BBQ did you eat? I was going to say you can't get to all the good ones. THE top two I would recommend to someone visiting a short time is #1 Joe's KC (formally Oklahoma Joe's) #2 Jack Stack (Freight House location next to Lidia's)

I've lived here all my life while not traveling for work or military and I have to say Arthur Bryant's is one of the worst BBQ places in the city. It's dirty, they are rude and will actively try to rip you off. And the food is gawd awful. I just don't get why so many people like that crap.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what BBQ did you eat? I was going to say you can't get to all the good ones. THE top two I would recommend to someone visiting a short time is #1 Joe's KC (formally Oklahoma Joe's) #2 Jack Stack (Freight House location next to Lidia's)

I've lived here all my life while not traveling for work or military and I have to say Arthur Bryant's is one of the worst BBQ places in the city. It's dirty, they are rude and will actively try to rip you off. And the food is gawd awful. I just don't get why so many people like that crap.

BBQ - we ate Jack Stack at the Plaza because it was just a block away when we were hungry. Great atmosphere & service. good but my expectations were so high I was really disappointed. Thought is was just ok. Ate Q39 today & we liked it much more than Stacks.
Also ate at Cupini & Westport Fleemarket. Cupini's was good. Westport Fleemarket advertised best hamburger in KC was good, but not great.

Enjoyed some beverages at Boulevard Brewery & the very eclectic Westport Saloon along with some live Bluegrass. Fleemarket also had good beer selection.

Enjoyed the trip. I love the character of the city & the people have been great.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BBQ - we ate Jack Stack at the Plaza because it was just a block away when we were hungry. Great atmosphere & service. good but my expectations were so high I was really disappointed. Thought is was just ok. Ate Q39 today & we liked it much more than Stacks.
Also ate at Cupini & Westport Fleemarket. Cupini's was good. Westport Fleemarket advertised best hamburger in KC was good, but not great.

Enjoyed some beverages at Boulevard Brewery & the very eclectic Westport Saloon along with some live Bluegrass. Fleemarket also had good beer selection.

Enjoyed the trip. I love the character of the city & the people have been great.

Q39 was really good when it first opened. Then they started getting super snobby about their burnt ends. I would get them all the time when they first opened. Then they started limiting what you could buy. Then they would flat out refuse to sell them to you because you weren't there at their peak time. I've never been to the Plaza Jack Stack. We always go to the Freight House or their new Blue Springs location (close to home). The Westport Flea Market is waaaay over rated. There is a fairly new BBQ joint in Westport called Char Bar. It's pretty good depending on the day. They aren't super consistent. Glad you had a good time.

Here's a half pound of Burnt Ends from Q39 I got on the way to work one night. They won't sell them by the pound anymore, the azzhats. They are super delicious though.
upload_2017-7-7_1-17-56.png

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Q39 was really good when it first opened. Then they started getting super snobby about their burnt ends. I would get them all the time when they first opened. Then they started limiting what you could buy. Then they would flat out refuse to sell them to you because you weren't there at their peak time. I've never been to the Plaza Jack Stack. We always go to the Freight House or their new Blue Springs location (close to home). The Westport Flea Market is waaaay over rated. There is a fairly new BBQ joint in Westport called Char Bar. It's pretty good depending on the day. They aren't super consistent. Glad you had a good time.

Here's a half pound of Burnt Ends from Q39 I got on the way to work one night. They won't sell them by the pound anymore, the azzhats. They are super delicious though.
View attachment 103282

I can't fathom a business making that kind of decision that intentionally irritates customers. If handling burnt ends orders is a special kind of hassle, price it accordingly and the volume of orders will go down naturally with the customers only grousing about price rather than policy.

Here's the one rule about making rules in business:

cdn04.androidauthority.net_wp_content_uploads_2014_05_shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom