kerosene heater use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i am getting a 23,800 BTU kerosene heater, and am wondering how long it takes to warm up a small 1000 sq ft house with both bedrooms and bathroom doors closed, to warm up the rest of house from 50 to 70 degrees?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i am getting a 23,800 BTU kerosene heater, and am wondering how long it takes to warm up a small 1000 sq ft house with both bedrooms and bathroom doors closed, to warm up the rest of house from 50 to 70 degrees?
Curious, where are you getting the kerosene? I bought a 2 1/2 gal jug at atwoods and I think I paid $23. Seemed pricey. But everything does these days.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone can answer that but you. I've been burning diesel in mine in a greenhouse. I'd say at reduced BTU.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did have a gas station here that had a pump just for kerosene but havent been there in a few years so dont know if they still have it or not.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will a heater that burns kerosene put you to sleep so to say?
It will. They have a flame. It consumes oxygen and puts out CO in return. But they are pretty safe.

Most houses will allow enough outside air in so you don't take a dirt nap. Opening a door once in awhile while going in and out is usually enough. Cracking a window is not a bad idea either. I think most people are put off by the smell to keep enough fresh air coming in that allows them to stay out of the danger zone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom