kerosene heater use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my neighbor got one of these for his garage and it got him to his knees crawling to get out of the garage after a couple hours in there.
He then gave it to me.
It claimed safe for indoor use Mr. Heater.
With low oxygen safety system.
I just want for every one to be safe.

My friend when he was young had no working heater in his home and his mom left the gas stove on.
In the middle of the knight he woke up with a pounding headache and could not stand and crawled out the front door and regained his strength and back inside he went and shut the stove off and get everyone out of bed and make sure they were still alive.

Close call.
Flame will burn up all the oxygen.
Tight house even better for low oxygen.
1670785675119.png

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That many btus should make 1000 sq ft. Toasty pdq so long as there's a fan or 2 moving air about. We used them back in the 80s with no I'll effect. I followed suit not long ago and picked up a heater and 20 gallons of fuel from tsc. Carbon monoxide detectors recommended.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i remember in the 1970's there was a kerosene heater fad that came about because of the inflation. there were good ones and some not so good but i remember that if you bought a good one and kept the wick trimmed it didn't stink to much. be aware that combustion gasses will build up and learn and understand the affects of carbon monoxide. the thing you NEED TO KNOW about C0 is that all it takes is a little to kill you because it builds up in your blood faster than you can get rid of it. so a constant low level exposure can take days or weeks to kill you.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i remember in the 1970's there was a kerosene heater fad that came about because of the inflation. there were good ones and some not so good but i remember that if you bought a good one and kept the wick trimmed it didn't stink to much. be aware that combustion gasses will build up and learn and understand the affects of carbon monoxide. the thing you NEED TO KNOW about C0 is that all it takes is a little to kill you because it builds up in your blood faster than you can get rid of it. so a constant low level exposure can take days or weeks to kill you.
The hemoglobin in your blood prefers to bond to CO over O2

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had one. As I recall, it didn’t have a wick, just some kind of contraption where the combustion took place. We never had any trouble with CO (it was sitting on the bricks in front of the fireplace, so it got its fresh air from the same place the fireplace did), but there might’ve been a few minor burns from getting too close to it.

Randolph Mantooth told a story about nearly dying from CO poisoning while he was on the series Emergency! back in the ‘70s. He said he’d wake up feeling lousy, like he was sick, but by the time he got to work he’d been feeling better. Unbeknownst to him, there was a problem with his furnace, and the only thing keeping him alive was the fact that he kept a window partially open while he slept.

After a few nights of this, he decided that there must’ve been something out that he was allergic to, so he closed the window.

Predictably, things got bad for him that night, bad enough that he made an emergency call. The first responder was a cop who assumed that he was just stoned on something, but the second guy in was a paramedic who wanted to take him to the hospital.

Mantooth said the paramedic saved his life because while they were arguing about where he was going to be taken, he got Mantooth off the floor (where the cop had found and left him) and onto the couch (or maybe onto the gurney), which got him out of the CO...

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my neighbor got one of these for his garage and it got him to his knees crawling to get out of the garage after a couple hours in there.
He then gave it to me.
It claimed safe for indoor use Mr. Heater.
With low oxygen safety system.
I just want for every one to be safe.

My friend when he was young had no working heater in his home and his mom left the gas stove on.
In the middle of the knight he woke up with a pounding headache and could not stand and crawled out the front door and regained his strength and back inside he went and shut the stove off and get everyone out of bed and make sure they were still alive.

Close call.
Flame will burn up all the oxygen.
Tight house even better for low oxygen.
View attachment 327938

These Buddy Heaters are in Thousands of varying RVs. Have used them camping and power outage. They are safe as I have experienced. The RV community seems to utilize them. I would definitely as a person should already have, working multiple Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Smoke Detectors when using any heating device including the one installed in your home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom