kerosene heater use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 250,000 BTU kerosene heater that Id sell if anyone needs one. It hasnt been used in 5 years and likely needs some upkeep but it worked fine the last time I used it. It has a dial thermostat on it and that worked out well. I used it to heat my old shop and it only took maybe 20 minutes to heat the 1800' shop with 14' walls, from 40* to 65*
I burned red diesel in it and the smell was minimal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These Buddy Heaters are in Thousands of varying RVs. Have used them camping and power outage. They are safe as I have experienced. The RV community seems to utilize them. I would definitely as a person should already have, working multiple Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Smoke Detectors when using any heating device including the one installed in your home.
I use a buddy heater in the deer blind. It has shut itself off many times when the oxygen levels get too low. As a former part time safety person for confined space entry, those sensors can and do expire, but the instructions that come with the buddy heater does not go into that, unless they know some new technology I don't so when using mine in the blind, I throw a carbon monoxide detector in my backpack to put on the floor in the blind. So far, it's never gone off, but I can take a nap knowing I'm just tired and not under the influence of a harmful gas. Cheap piece of mind that lets that nap be uneventful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JP8...not sire its same but maybe more refined?

Types of Aviation Fuel​

Like vehicles, aircraft can use various fuels, but two are the most common – Jet Fuel and AVGAS. Generally, private jets, commercial airplanes, and aviation aircraft widely use and depend on Jet Fuel and AVGAS to function efficiently. However, the right aviation fuel depends on an aircraft’s engine type.

Jet Fuel

This is a refined kerosene-based, colorless type of fuel that’s used in aircraft with turbine engines, including turboprops and jet engines. There are two main types of jet fuel – Jet A and Jet A1. Although flight operators can use both fuels interchangeably for flight operations, there are some differences in manufacturing specifications.

For instance, Jet A1 has a lower freezing point (-47OC) than Jet A (-40OC), making it suitable for long-haul international flights, particularly those overflying polar routes. Similarly, unlike Jet A, Jet A1 has static dissipater additives, which decreases any static charges that can form during the movement of the fuel.

Jet A1 is the most common type of jet fuel in the United States, and it can be used to power all jet aircraft. Jet A1 and Jet A are easier to obtain than AVGAS because, during the refining process, jet fuel comes off first. Its simple refining process also makes Jet Fuel much cheaper than AVGAS.

AVGAS

Also known as aviation gas, AVGAS is used to power traditional propeller aircraft and small piston-engine airplanes. This includes aircraft operated by private pilots, flight training jets, and flying clubs. AVGAS contains small amounts of tetraethyl lead, a substance that prevents harm to the engine detonation or knocks.

Unfortunately, tetraethyl lead is toxic to humans when inhaled or absorbed into the bloodstream. Luckily, efforts are underway to eliminate it from AVGAS.

There are two main types of AVGAS, AVGAS 100LL and AVGAS 100. The major difference between the two is the amount of tetraethyl lead, with AVGAS 100 having a higher lead content than AVGAS 100LL.

Other Types of Jet Fuel​

In special conditions, flight operators use other types of jet fuel, including:

Jet B

It’s the most common alternative to Jet Fuel and AVGAS in civil aviation, and it contains a light mixture of 70% gasoline and 30% kerosene. Jet B has a low freezing point of -60OC, making it suitable for extremely cold countries such as Alaska and Canada. However, it’s extremely flammable and dangerous to handle.

TS-1

This type of jet fuel is common in Russia, and it’s modified with a freezing point of -50OC, which makes it ideal for flying in cold areas. Additionally, since TS-1’s flashpoint is 28OC, it has high volatility.

JP-8

This type of jet fuel mainly operates military airplanes such as US military and NATO air forces. JP-8 contains anti-corrosion additives and is designed for aircraft without heaters.
https://www.amspecgroup.com/types-of-jet-fuel/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to get one of those used motor oil heaters, but damn if they don't like them more than I do!:yikes2:
Check out some of the images of some homemade ones on an internet search. They coat the roof out of the chimney with gunk of some kind that eat away the galvanized and create an ugly mess. I heated my old shop with a double barrel wood burning stove. On top of that, I mounted a container that would hold engine oil with a valve that let me drip the oil into the bottom barrel where wood was burning. I got the gunk on my roof which was asphalt shingles, so it was nothing but unsightly.
I think the new ones don't do that though. My oil change guy has one and his metal building looks pretty good.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out some of the images of some homemade ones on an internet search. They coat the roof out of the chimney with gunk of some kind that eat away the galvanized and create an ugly mess. I heated my old shop with a double barrel wood burning stove. On top of that, I mounted a container that would hold engine oil with a valve that let me drip the oil into the bottom barrel where wood was burning. I got the gunk on my roof which was asphalt shingles, so it was nothing but unsightly.
I think the new ones don't do that though. My oil change guy has one and his metal building looks pretty good.
The ones I was interested in act like a forced heat system and pressurized the oil and supposedly has better combustion, but are pricey!
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200952997_200952997

Latest posts

Top Bottom