knife question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dogbear said:
I was told that you could have a switch blade or spring type knife in your home but not on your person.There is a guy that sells hubertus german made switchblades at the gun show.The guy in front of me was a cop and he bought one.So I asked him.He said it is up to the officer but most wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless you were committing a crime.

Although it *is* "letter of the law" illegal,I know people who regularly get stopped with them and the officers could care less and have even remarked "nice knife".
Of course,just because that happens to some folks doesn't mean you should tempt fate,and we here at the OSA would never advocate illegal activity.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I ask where you carry a good concealed fixed blade? Are there IWB sheaths for knives? Strong or weak side. This idea interests me. Obviously training would be required, good thing there are resources for that around here too.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
skyydiver said:
Can I ask where you carry a good concealed fixed blade? Are there IWB sheaths for knives? Strong or weak side. This idea interests me. Obviously training would be required, good thing there are resources for that around here too.

I carry mine forward of the hip either vertically or horizontally. All of mine are OWB. Forward of hip carry is ideal for most weapons, including firearms because lack of shoulder articulation during the draw makes it very strong against aversion during a struggle. Firearms are generally uncomfortable to carry in this manner, but knives are not.

They do make good IWB sheaths as well. My opposition to kydex does not apply to knives as I think kydex is one of the best materials for knife sheaths.

The Crawford/Kasper Companion is a great choice by CRKT. Its only $35 or so with two sheaths, one of which is IWB. It was the one I used before I found the Shivworks knives. Its nice because most people wouldn't even know they were looking at a serious fighting knife.

I like the Shivworks and TDI knives because a blunt training version is available for both. If you carry a knife, get a trainer version and learn to be good with it.

Michael Brown

okla-lawman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a Da's ruling on the spring assist and they said they were NOT a prohibited weapon as they did not have a button or other device to operate.

Dogbear Police and fire are specifically allowed to carry switchblades. I don't do the legal ramifications in a CIVIL situation (carrying a hoodlums weapon) besides
it is not any faster to open than my emerson.

The polkowski inspired Crawford companion is a great knife. My name has been on the waiting list for over a year for a real Polkowski. The only thing that sucks
about the CRKT version is the sheath. I am ordering one from River city Knives. It is a lot thinner and lighter and offers more carry options. I have also thought about taking the scales off of one and wearing it like a neck knife. Most of the heft of the knife is in the scales. I carry it off duty. I carry a Pat Crawford custom knife on duty.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.P. said:
Michael,what is your preference as to serrated vs. plain egde and why?

It doesn't matter in the least.

A combat knife system must be thrust-dependant, not cut-dependant so the edge is largely unimportant as long as it is sharp.

Michael Brown

okla-lawman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plain or serrated. For slicing I think as well as others say serrated are better cause the serrations help dig into clothing, skin and so forth keeping the knife from glancing off. One knife I have is a cold steel desperado and it's cutting ability is scary. It is just not the serrations but the way the blade is shaped. It actually digs in as you cut.
I think serrations work well for shorted knives where you are going to be slicing such as trying to cut tendons to imobolize, start the subject bleeding and working your way to the throat if it goes that far. For longer knives that can get suffient penetration, ie 5" or more go with a reugular blade as they are easier to sharpen. As far as knife performance there is a lot more to consider. Bladed type, grind, and so fort all effect performance. I prefer knives that have bellies on them. The CRKT crawford mentioned above does. My get them off me knife is a small crawford(real one not a copy) that has a tanto blad but also has a belly. My everyday folder is an emerson commander. A knife that is known for deep slashing ability, the blade on it has a belly and is ground so that actually pulls deeper as force is applied. That Desperado I mentioned above has a curved blade like a belly. I attacted a roast with it with slashes (it was going for bbq anyway) and its slashing was well amazing. If you get a chance there is a video out there called tactical folders. It can open your eyes what a small knife can do.

Fyi I studied more Okinawan base systems and slashing is everything. Your ulitmate target is the throat. I guess you need to pick one that will fit your needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom