knife question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgr8outdrs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
6 months after my assisted opening Buck Rush was taken, I have finally replaced it with a Spyderco Native. Please keep in mind this is a tool for me to cut tags, string, open cd's and various other utilitarian tasks which are made easier with a blade. It is not a defensive weapon. It is a little thicker than my Buck was, but has a good, non-slip frame, carries tip-up and the blade is much beefier than my Buck. I have taken some of your advice and steered clear of the assisted opening. Why push my luck if I don't have to?

Thanks for all the advice. I may consider a fixed blade once I have had some training.

okla-lawman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a native all the time for a utility knife. I broke the tip last year and sent it back to them with $5 for shipping. They sent me a new knife eventhough it was my falt I broke the tip.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to what kind of knife you guys carry. Anyone carry a fixed blade? and if so what kind?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At work I carry a TDI LEO and a CRKT Polkowski/Kasper blade.

Away from work I carry the Shivworks Clinch Pick or the Shivworks Disciple or both.

I carry a folder both at work and off-duty for administrative tasks. On a side note, I lost my on-duty folder this weekend after cutting open a gunshot victim's shirt to start applying pressure to her wound.

I believe knives intended for self-defense need to be designed for thrusting first, ripping second, with slashing as a lesser concern.

Look at the true context for a self-defense knife and see if one in particular fits your needs.

Michael Brown

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I googled Shivworks and both the knives you mentioned seemed to be of excellent quality. Do you always carry one of these in addition to your weapon?

Also... is the TDI you mentioned like this?

Clicky....

I believe knives intended for self-defense need to be designed for thrusting first, ripping second, with slashing as a lesser concern.

So you'd say to stick with the "straighter" knives?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I always carry one or both of the Shivworks knives in addition to my gun and spray.

In fact when I wear a fanny pack, a rarity but I do wear one to the gym, the Clinch Pick becomes the primary weapon.

The TDI knife you listed is the same one. If you have the means, I'd suggest the Shivworks knives but the TDI Ka-Bar is a real bargain if you're short on cash. It truly is in its element on a duty belt, but its a decent choice for concealed carry as well. I'd go with the CRKT though if I needed an inexpensive fixed-blade fighter. If you travel, the TDI is legal in most places where the CRKT may not be in some jurisdictions.

In terms of "straighter", I prefer them over scimitar-type blades but the kerambit is curved and it thrusts and rips extremely well. I just don't use a kerambit to its full potential because I'm not as well trained with it.

Unless you plan to get some direct training with the kerambit, I'd stick to a straight blade.

Since double-edged knives are illegal to carry in Oklahoma, I prefer a knife with the edge in (reverse of standard) like the Shivworks knives as opposed to the traditional design of knives.

If double-edges were legal, I'd use one and I have several positioned in the house where they are legal. :wink2:

Michael Brown

okla-lawman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Emerson Commander as mt everyday. On duty I carry it plus a Spyderco Native as a utility and Pat Crawford fixed blade. The crawford is unique as it is a tanto style but has a belly for increased slicing. I also have a CRKT polkowsky and carry it off duty. I am on the list for a real Polkowski I ought to get it in a year or so. I have also a couple of cold steels that I really like.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knives that are specifically named are Bowies, Dirks, and Daggers.

Bowies are known by their design and dirks and daggers both have double-edges.

Sucks, but them's the breaks.

Fortunately there are still plenty of good knives that are legal to carry.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom