Knife Sharpener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had a ton of success with a paper wheel on a bench grinder. Fastest way I’ve found to get one razor sharp. It does take some level skill and a steady hand.
Same for me. Works great. You do have to understand sharpening as some people will hog off metal.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to go with this set. I will be sharpening all sorts of knives from cheap to expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0913DMDP4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Those are water only...I hope they hold up because those cheap stones/kits tend to underperform. A lot of times, the higher grit stones are not natural and are some kind of composite. That ends up giving a newcomer a bad taste. Let us know how they work out; if they are durable and quality, I may have to take a look.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a Work Sharp knife sharpener for a number of years but only have used it a few times. I finally sat down to a serious knife sharpening session, and it crapped out before I finished. Any suggestions for a new sharpening system?
Stones. Either oil or water. But which ever you use stay with it. Oil and water don’t mix. I prefer oil with 3in1 oil. I’m old school and finish with leather strop.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a ton of success with a paper wheel on a bench grinder. Fastest way I’ve found to get one razor sharp. It does take some level skill and a steady hand.
just becareful, had to get tendons on right thumb reattached after the wheel caught the edge of the blade and threw it through my hand at high velocity

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just becareful, had to get tendons on right thumb reattached after the wheel caught the edge of the blade and threw it through my hand at high velocity
How did that happen? I’ve used the wheels for about 15 years now. You have to setup so they rotate away from you then hold the blade horizontal and level.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did that happen? I’ve used the wheels for about 15 years now. You have to setup so they rotate away from you then hold the blade horizontal and level.
it was late I was tired something distracted me ,I guess I turned the edge into wheel. blood squirted all over my store. looked like a slaughter house

John Sherman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Same for me. Works great. You do have to understand sharpening as some people will hog off metal.
My favorite it the paper wheel with fine grit and wheel with the rouge on it. You need to set it up so that the wheels turn AWAY from you…..ask me how I know! They are available at Woodcraft supply and I bought a cheap grinder motor from Harbor Freight for about $40 bucks. All total it cost me about $80 bucks. I am a professional furnature designer and builder and have several hundred bucks in sharpening equipment and many years experience in sharpening tools to a razor edge and for knives this is the best system I have used. I can go through a knife block of kitchen knives in less than 5 minutes and have them shaving sharp. Note: if you run your wheels the normal direction, you run the risk of having the blade hang up in the wheel and bite you!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a pic of mine I made a few years back. These work great. Makes the blade razor sharp!

B1CC32F2-9470-412C-A60F-FAD74809F807.jpeg

EEEEF1AC-8A3E-484F-B0D6-CAA2F77C24F2.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom