Lankford response to Obama press COnference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lankford: Let’s Tackle the Real Issues behind Gun Violence
Jan 16, 2013
Washington, D.C. — House Republican Policy Committee Chairman James Lankford (R-OK) issued the following statement after President Obama and Vice President Biden’s press briefing today on the Administration’s new plans to prevent future gun violence.

“We all remain deeply saddened by the tragedies and loss of life from the too-frequent incidents of violence in the United States,” said Chairman Lankford.

“Since our founding, Americans have owned and kept guns in their homes. The recent rise in mass shootings is not a product of gun ownership but a cultural shift that has occurred in our nation, requiring serious evaluation. Any proposals to address this shift must work to solve the problem, not just force Congress to ‘do something.’

“On behalf of thousands of parents of students in central Oklahoma, I applaud the President’s emphasis on school safety. I support efforts to reduce bullying and violence in our schools through creative local solutions, and I encourage responsible adults to get involved in the health and safety of our nation’s children. The President’s efforts to begin to implement some of House Oversight’s recommendations to prevent gun trafficking in America will bolster local community safety initiatives for our children and families.

“State governments are best equipped to deal with local gun safety issues,” continued Lankford. “The State of New York’s recent choice to enact new gun controls on its citizens to meet a unique regional opinion does not force citizens of other states to live under a federal one-size-fits-all model.

“As a staunch Second Amendment advocate, I remain committed to the principle that any federal proposals must be constitutionally consistent and work to solve the societal problems we face. Since the President selected the Vice President, the de facto leader of the Senate, to lead his task force, it is my assumption that the Senate will immediately take up the President’s proposals.

“I will reserve judgment on any proposed legislation until I am able to review the Senate-passed versions of the President’s proposals,” concluded Chairman Lankford.
Forwarded to me by another gun advocate.

Your thoughts

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is well stated, and the social value shift is the issue we need address. We are living in a world completely devoid of moral value, and the only thing our leaders can think to attack are guns.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have known James for several years, and know him to be a man of principle. This response is exactly what I would expect from him, and is exactly what should be said by our representatives, and what we should be saying. I agree with one of Mr. Obama's signed statements from yesterday. He proposes that gun safety programs be developed and provided to our youth. So he is in agreement with what the NRA has been providing for years, at nowhere near the cost that his government program will cost us, but at least he has shown some common sense in this.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have known James for several years, and know him to be a man of principle. This response is exactly what I would expect from him, and is exactly what should be said by our representatives, and what we should be saying. I agree with one of Mr. Obama's signed statements from yesterday. He proposes that gun safety programs be developed and provided to our youth. So he is in agreement with what the NRA has been providing for years, at nowhere near the cost that his government program will cost us, but at least he has shown some common sense in this.

I think Obama's idea of "gun safety" training for kids is to tell them "they are evil and stay far away from them" . Also "report any unsafe behavior to your friendly Obama police agent".
It's a lot different than the NRA idea of gun safety training, whi1ch is how to use a firearm safely and responsibly.
The last thing Obama wants is for kids to grow up learning how to use guns responsibly.
:)

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeh, carefully chosen & well stated words. If I lived in NY, I'd be looking to move elsewhere. Glad I live in Oklahoma. Everyone at the hospital I work with has a CCL or is getting one. I mean EVERYONE. The cultural shift is very real, especially in the big cities back East. Thank God I live in Oklahoma!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heard Lankford on KTOK this morning. He sounded pretty darn solid without explicitly stating it. He did come off that he knew the original intent of the 2A. He did leave himself some wiggle room but it was damn little for him to work with. If he rolls on a mag ban I'll be surprised. An AW ban? Don't think so...

Latest posts

Top Bottom