Lawnmower carb on a V8; 70mph!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen an old guy that put a small 2 stroke carb like off a weed eater or chain saw on an Olds 98.
It maxed out at 40 or 45 MPH but got 35 MPG.
He drove it to a car lot a buddy had quite often to sit around and shoot the breeze like all 80 year old dudes do.

He said he never got on the highway and never needed to go fast.

I did build a vapor carburetor kind of deal. 25 years ago
No sprayed fuel. Jjust sucking the vapor off the fuel in a container that had 2" of fuel in the bottom and a baffle and filter to allow air in.

Yes it worked for about 500 yards.
Puttered back into the driveway just barely.
I opened the vapor fuel can and nothing but milk in it.
I had not thought about all the moisture in the air I was passing through the fuel.

Milked it right up.
If I could keep the moisture out I think it would have worked.
I tested it on a Nissan 280ZX

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen an old guy that put a small 2 stroke carb like off a weed eater or chain saw on an Olds 98.
It maxed out at 40 or 45 MPH but got 35 MPG.
He drove it to a car lot a buddy had quite often to sit around and shoot the breeze like all 80 year old dudes do.

He said he never got on the highway and never needed to go fast.

I did build a vapor carburetor kind of deal. 25 years ago
No sprayed fuel. Jjust sucking the vapor off the fuel in a container that had 2" of fuel in the bottom and a baffle and filter to allow air in.

Yes it worked for about 500 yards.
Puttered back into the driveway just barely.
I opened the vapor fuel can and nothing but milk in it.
I had not thought about all the moisture in the air I was passing through the fuel.

Milked it right up.
If I could keep the moisture out I think it would have worked.
I tested it on a Nissan 280ZX

If you have the ability (and don't mind losing A/C in Oklahoma) repurpose the a/c compressor to act as an condenser for the incoming air. This does two things: reduces the moisture in the air and makes the air charge more dense, which improves combustion. The only downside is I doubt the compressor was meant to run 100% while the car is running, so the lifespan of it might be shortened considerably.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have wired many car air compressors up with only a toggle switch and made them run all the time.
Never had one fail from that.
In fact never had a compressor fail except on a 1995 corolla and it was wired from the factory and the C clip groove broke that held the clutch etc on.
It had over 250,000 miles on it when it broke.
Had an old A6 GM with over 400,000 miles on it and 200,000 of those were wired to run all the time.

If it makes them have a shorter lifespan i have not seen it.
But you still get the moisture in the compressor and I do not think it will produce the cfm an engine will need.

I believe desiccant is used to remove the moisture and we are talking gallons of moisture in a short trip.
I thought of heating the air to dry it but never continued with the project.

I just swapped the 280 engine with a 240 with ported head and large cam and 4 barrel carb and headers.
:)

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have wired many car air compressors up with only a toggle switch and made them run all the time.
Never had one fail from that.
In fact never had a compressor fail except on a 1995 corolla and it was wired from the factory and the C clip groove broke that held the clutch etc on.
It had over 250,000 miles on it when it broke.
Had an old A6 GM with over 400,000 miles on it and 200,000 of those were wired to run all the time.

If it makes them have a shorter lifespan i have not seen it.
But you still get the moisture in the compressor and I do not think it will produce the cfm an engine will need.

I believe desiccant is used to remove the moisture and we are talking gallons of moisture in a short trip.
I thought of heating the air to dry it but never continued with the project.

I just swapped the 280 engine with a 240 with ported head and large cam and 4 barrel carb and headers.
:)

I dunno about the cfm, Luke had a 308 running off a lawnmower carb, imagine what a 4 banger could run off. As far as the water produced by the condenser coil, most of it could be funneled to run down just like in an a/c setup. Yes, you would still get a small amount, but I wonder if it would work. If I had the time, space and money I would give it a go just for the what if aspect.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
41 MPG with a 308 Windsor and still has the horsepower to pull past people! He is using a vacuum regulator to keep the AFM at 14 instead of the static metering the carb does. If it works this well on a 4 barrel carb I hope he patents it and sells it! Then all these green mobsters can suck eggs as people with muscle cars get better gas mileage than a prius!

Latest posts

Top Bottom