Lawton, OK getting to be a tuff city.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Lawton during the 80's-90's and it was pretty gang ridden back then. I don't see as many of them now when I go back to visit, but then again I try and stay away from their nesting grounds. SO glad that I was raised on the outskirts of town (King Arthur trailer park) instead of in the middle where all the problems were... didn't have to see those until jr. high. Since moving away from there I've spent a lot of time trying to convince friends and family to do the same. The problem is there isn't much for teenagers to do around there that aren't into outdoors-y type stuff so they get bored.

Some local suggestions if you go:

Definitely the Wichita Mountains - spend a couple nights at Camp Doris, there's some good boulder hopping and a nice trail that leads to a small visitor center/museum (if it's still there), drive up to the top of Mt. Scott.

Visit the artillery museum on Ft. Sill right off the highway across from the BASIC training grounds (including Geronimo's grave and prison cell).

Like someone else suggested, eat at Wayne's Drive Inn - their steak fingers w/ gravy is excellent.

As for the bar scene, I'm not too up-to-date on what's going on there. When I visit I usually stop in at the Railhead Saloon, but if you aren't into metal/rock don't go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom