Lease questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious for those of you that lease land for deer hunting, what are some of the details of your contract or agreement?

How much do you pay per year or season?

What are you allowed to do (food plots, feeders, scouting and land access in off-season)?

Also, how did you find out that the land was for lease?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to lease all hunting rights annually. I go out whenever I want and camp, etc. I try to make it real clear that I am paying for the hunting rights and make sure they understand that they can not take anyone else hunting or give anyone else permission to hunt. I have had buddies that leased land and the farmer's family showed up in rifle season sitting in my buddies stand. Get these things ironed out before you pay money. I have a contract that I drew up that they sign and I sign and it releases them from any liability from me hunting and gives me all hunting rights.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$300.00 for 2 years on 160 acres, all hunting rights. A farmer leases the farming, so no food plots necessary about 60% crops 40% trees and tall grasses.

It's my Dad's cousin... otherwise I am sure we would pay out the wazooo!
Good luck

Hunter61

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have leased alot of hunting land. most land owners dont hunt and don't know alot about it either they just want your money and you not to bother them,tear anything up,leave gates open. don't assume they know what your thinking so ask all questions.make sure no one is going to show up opening day wanting to hunt.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful on craigslist leases, I've heard many a horror story of people getting ripped off.

That is the truth. I had a friend that owns a farm that caught some guys hunting quail on him several years ago and tried to run them off. They refused and said they had leased the land. He told them no they hadn't cause he owned it. They refused to leave till he drove away a little ways and got out his .30-06. Found out an unscrupulous guy had leased it to them and they were hosed. He said it was pretty intense there for a minute.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the answers. I'm not gonna be looking for a lease, although my original post may make it sound like that. I was just wanting to know what the going rate is, and how most agreements work.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also try the Commissioner of the Land Office. They're in charge of all the school land leases in Oklahoma. It's a lease auction. Every 5 years a piece of property comes up for it's lease auction. If you're the winning bidder, you get that piece of property for the annual lease that you bid. After 5 years, you have to rebid on it. Price could go up or down depending on who else bids. If you win, you pretty much have total control over the land. There are limits, like you can't cut all the trees down etc., but you can plant crops and hunt and do whatever. Most of the leases are pretty reasonable on their starting bids. They have a website that you can get more info on.

toe

Latest posts

Top Bottom