Legal question about my employment contract

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hired to teach a certain amount of credit hours, and i signed paperwork that listed the number of hours and it's pay. Now I was told that they cannot hire me for that amount of hours, because the state forbids it, since I am a temporary staff hired for the summer only.

The main condition for me taking the job was that I would get the number of hours indicated on the first contract. I told them upfront that I would probably not take the job if I were not given those credit hours. They accommodated me but now changed their mind.

The VP has talked to me and admitted that this seems like a Bait and Switch scenario, and it certainly feels that way.

Is there any legal ground for me to stand on? Should I see a lawyer? Is it worth the trouble?
I have emails and paper work that document this. I have not signed the new contract

You opinion and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I understand that any advice given here is not legally binding.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Expectation damages. You can recover the difference between what you expected to earn and what they actually pay you. There may be an additional reduction if you are able to mitigate your loss by working another job (and you generally have a duty to mitigate).

Alternatively, if you gave up another job (or offer) to take this one, that could be the basis for your expectations instead.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd also like to know more about this "state forbids it" part. A law being passed after the formation of a contract acts to make performance impossible, so that excuses the University; an internal policy, though, would be something else.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As i understand it, it is an internal policy. A professor there told me that this problem happened last semester too, also to an adjunct professor. I don't know that case was solved. The VP told me that this should not have happened and that he was surprised that this slipped through the cracks. I will try to get official documents about this policy

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But that is their choice. By itself it doesn't invalidate the contract you signed, unless they have language in there that lets them change the contract at will.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But that is their choice. By itself it doesn't invalidate the contract you signed, unless they have language in there that lets them change the contract at will.

Nope, I was hired as faculty, which puts me out of the realm of being terminated at the will of the president.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So they are willingly violating the contract...and blaming the Afforable Care Act??

It's the same as saying "We'll hire you for $40 per hour" and then, after everything is signed, saying "oh, never mind we realized we can't pay you that much."

No idea what recourse you have at this point though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom