I've never had so much trouble buying a car before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t purchased a new vehicle from a dealership in 25 years. I won’t pay the taxes or mark up. I buy new/used. That is to say from someone that has been caught up in buying markup at dealers and later realize the payment is killing them. They have taken the depreciation and paid the taxes. If there payoff is reasonable, I pay cash and have a new/used vehicle with low mileage. Just be a little flexible about color.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased a used Hyundai for my son, a few months ago. I managed to get them to eat the doc fee, which I considered an accomplishment, in the current climate. This was at Bob Howard Hyundai on a car that had been listed for over a month and already marked down once. All in all a decent car my son likes. It's a black 2021 Sonata, with most of the options. Basically no leather or Bose system.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t purchased a new vehicle from a dealership in 25 years. I won’t pay the taxes or mark up. I buy new/used. That is to say from someone that has been caught up in buying markup at dealers and later realize the payment is killing them. They have taken the depreciation and paid the taxes. If there payoff is reasonable, I pay cash and have a new/used vehicle with low mileage. Just be a little flexible about color.
So you don't pay TT&L on used cars?

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of this is why I will NEVER darken the door of a car lot or anyplace, really, that I have to "discuss" my purchase from with a salesman. All I want to hear is "chaching, chaching, chaching ... That will be $$$ please ma'am. Would you like help loading your purchase?? Oh ... And pardon me for asking, but you wouldn't possibly like to sell your pick-up truck, would you?" 🤷🤷 Don't laugh. It happens a lot more than you'd think. Actually, I would have never guessed a slightly banged up but well-maintained 1998 ?? I think it is 🤔🤔, pick-up truck would have so many offers made on it. 🤷🤣🤣
We have a 2012 Silverado crew cab that my wife is taking to a GM dealership next week to get the Takata airbag recall done. Been getting the recall notices in the mail for a while now. The truck is our spare driver, and since the repair can only be done during the week, we have procrastinated getting it taken care of.
Truck has north of 200K miles, but for the more than a decade that we have owned it, has still been reliable.
It will be interesting to hear what they try to up-sell her on. Trust me, she is no pushover.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a 2012 Silverado crew cab that my wife is taking to a GM dealership next week to get the Takata airbag recall done. Been getting the recall notices in the mail for a while now. The truck is our spare driver, and since the repair can only be done during the week, we have procrastinated getting it taken care of.
Truck has north of 200K miles, but for the more than a decade that we have owned it, has still been reliable.
It will be interesting to hear what they try to up-sell her on. Trust me, she is no pushover.

I LOVE it when salesmen decide that the woman in front of them is an easy target. 🤣🤣🤣 Tell her I said have fun for me, also! 😇🤣🤣

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She absolutely despises car salespeople and the shenanigans associated with the entire process. She spent a number of years as a reserve officer. Also has several college degrees including an MBA.
She can walk into any car stealership and wear them out while they think they’re winning numbers games.
Our daughter is a certified mathematician who can hold her own when it comes to playing numbers.
STRONG WOMEN is an understatement!!!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am picking my new truck up when it gets delivered. My credit is frozen, so I can't get a loan. I wonder how that is going to work when they try to sell me on financing?
I have gotten no less than a half dozen "data breach" letters for EACH of us since the first of the year. I am NEVER thawing out our credit. NEVER ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom