Legality of Hollow Points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While there is probably no enhanced liability in using either, I believe it would be a greater danger to innocent persons to carry ball in a standard defensive use handgun carried in urban areas.

HP or expanding design ammo is designed to reduce over penetration. You can find the FBI tests on line that give the desired penetration envelop. I think it is somewhere around minimum of 12-14" or so and over 20" is considered moving to excessive penetration. Don't quote me, those are ballpark numbers.

Hollow Point ammo does not create a mushroom cloud where the person once stood. Think of them as flesh anchors. Yes they do expand and create a greater diameter permanent cavity, but the main focus to most LE agencies is limiting over penetration.

So it should be easy for your lawyer to prove that hollow-point ammo is safer for the community when that is why most LE agencies say they carry it.

Of course you can't take into consideration anything NY or NJ does as they are making firearms decisions based on what the guns on television and in movies do.

Recently there was discussion in NY on a law that would require police officers to shoot to wound rather than to kill. That is just about as smart as making medical decisions based on the TV show "ER" or or making legal decisions based on an episode of "Boston Legal".

I do agree with what most everyone else here is saying " it is not so much what it is as it is what you do with it". If your decisions are reasonable, actions lawful, and you can prove what you say, I don't think the brand or type of ammo would matter.

CLEET says don't carry reloaded ammo on duty. I've heard lawyers say don't carry ammo you reloaded for personal defense. I don't know of any agencies that allow reloaded ammo on duty so I would say that idea would probably cover personal defense use as well.

I hope this helps.

Fiddy

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What really irks me is that portion effectively says you can only use lethal force to protect yourself/yours after/while the defensive shooter is attacked. :(

I have been working a lot of OT so forgive me if I am missing something.

Why do you not like it that one cannot use lethal force before one is attacked?

Tell me if I am reading that wrong? :hithead:

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ANY and ALL ammo I use in any defensive weapon will have something like personal defense or personal protection written somewhere on the box JUST for this very reason.

I can say I used this ammo EXACTLY the way in which it was marketed and sold.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i saw a special about a guy convicted of manslaughter in arizona. he felt it was self defense and wanted to go to trial even thought the DA offered a deal.

well it went to trial and he was convicted and serving 10 years.

when interview the jurors, one thing that bothered them is that the DA preseneted hollow points as inhumane, cruel, etc. One female juror said this made up her mind. anyone carrying such a vial bullet could not be an innocent guy. he needed to be punished.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i saw a special about a guy convicted of manslaughter in arizona. he felt it was self defense and wanted to go to trial even thought the DA offered a deal.

well it went to trial and he was convicted and serving 10 years.

when interview the jurors, one thing that bothered them is that the DA preseneted hollow points as inhumane, cruel, etc. One female juror said this made up her mind. anyone carrying such a vial bullet could not be an innocent guy. he needed to be punished.

LOL at "vile bullet".

Gun Store Clerk: Can I help you sir?

Customer: Yes, I'll have a box of your "sublime" bullets!

Gun Store Clerk: Sublime bullets?

Customer: Yes, you know the kind of bullets that neutralize threats without doing much harm?

Gun Store Clerk: :bigeye:

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL at "vile bullet".

Gun Store Clerk: Can I help you sir?

Customer: Yes, I'll have a box of your "sublime" bullets!

Gun Store Clerk: Sublime bullets?

Customer: Yes, you know the kind of bullets that neutralize threats without doing much harm?

Gun Store Clerk: :bigeye:

My gun is a Coke dispenser. One pull of the trigger and everyone has a coke and a smile.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been working a lot of OT so forgive me if I am missing something.

Why do you not like it that one cannot use lethal force before one is attacked?

Tell me if I am reading that wrong? :hithead:

According to the law, if you're outside of your home and somewhere you have a right to be, and someone was attacking your wife, but not you... you haven't met the qualifiers to be protected under the Stand Your Ground Law when you pull the trigger.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You may use deadly force to protect your wife (or someone with whom you have a relationship with) if a reasonable fear of severe bodily harm or death is imminent.

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

According to the law, if you're outside of your home and somewhere you have a right to be, and someone was attacking your wife, but not you... you haven't met the qualifiers to be protected under the Stand Your Ground Law when you pull the trigger.

Where/what in the SDA is giving you this idea?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may use deadly force to protect your wife (or someone with whom you have a relationship with) if a reasonable fear of severe bodily harm or death is imminent.

Where/what in the SDA is giving you this idea?

Read the first sentence:
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked

Latest posts

Top Bottom