Legalize Urban Chickens in OKC????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has our City Council lost its mind?? Urban Chickens??

http://newsok.com/legalize-urban-chickens/multimedia/video/1021019372001

This sounds(on paper) fine and dandy....but what about noise issues...when the police are called out for crowing chickens??

Has the City Council driven around the South side of OKC?? I have a few rent houses in the SW area of OKC and all I can say is...Fightin' Chickens every where.

I thought fighting chickens were illegal in Oklahoma...you know the State, and this has to apply to the city. So, are they setting up the police to determine if the accused chicken is a "normal" chicken or a "fighting" chicken??

How is a policeman or woman, or for that matter City Code Enforcement.. going to explain to a South sider that their chicken is a fighting chicken and they can't have it. Yet, the citizen is going to say that OKC council is allowing urban chickens??

How is the ticket going to be written on a nuisance...crowing X amount of dollars, smelling up an area...X amount of dollars. How about loose chickens...laying eggs in your yard??

Holy Crap.....what about guinea hens....are they considered a "chicken"....OMG...those things can wake the dead...squawking all night!!

***Doesn't our City Council have BETTER ideas to process than urban chickens??

Again, this sounds good in conversation and looks good on paper....but I see problems down the road!!!

Cohiba

If this passes, I got a few Fighting...err...I mean...Urban Chickens I need to get back from my buddy, in Louisiana...who ...umm..borrowed them..Urban Chickens...yeah..Urban Chickens!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait ... I can have a rooster too??

OK ... I watched it ... their not talking about fighting cocks. And no roosters. Just hens.

As someone who has neighbors who let their F'ng dogs bark 24/7 I'd rather they have 6 to 8 hens as opposed to the 6 to 8 dogs they have now.

I personally hope this passes. I'd love to have me some hens ... and unlike the gal in the video I'd be eating me some chicken and dumplin's come winter ... :sorry1:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is City Council considering only hens...somewhat noisless....versus roosters??

What a waste of my tax money....maybe City Council will allow us to ride horses to work...to save the environment.

Oh wait, they'll have to do a (Tax Payer) study on that!! NOT, how to get jobs in OKC mind you, but some sort of chicken feasibility study.....at our expense.

Are they going to lift any regulations or city ordances on chickens??

Cohiba

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been in the works for quite some time but I don't know if it is gonna pass or not but yeah, it's just for hens.

Just as a side note, there is quite an abundance of free-ranging chickens living right down the street from the Gov.'s Mansion. They have been there for years ... I see them every time I go to the Credit Union.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shaddup you yuppies.

Did you watch the video?? Made me snicker "Oh they are just pets. We don't keep them for the meat ... just eggs" and "you have to be a calm person to keep chickens" ...

I've got a newsflash for her ... Hens only lay for about 3 years and then they are just another mouth to feed. If this passes I'll be scrambling eggs in the morning and stewing up some chicken in the evening.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yuppie....Yuppie?? Just cause I live up here in the Capital City, don't make me a yuppie!!

I've got a few Kelso's I'd love to have running around my front or back yard. Plastic barrels, water and food bowls, roosters tethered to a steak.

I just don't think my wife or the neighbohood( Mulholland) would allow it. I would love to have a few Blueticks and chickens in my yard. Did before I was married, guess married life "cleaned up" this hickstick hillbilly.

A good looking Kelso.....Urban Chickens
[Broken External Image]

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j88_langgas_DSCN05640009.jpg

arbscal.webs.com_photos_Our_hatches_yellow_20lH.jpg

Remember.....these Kelso's are Urban Chickens......Urban Chickens!!!

Can't forget the Blueticks!!!
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

*** I would be sooo dead if I brought these home. Don't know who would kill me first, my wife or the neighbors!!!!

Cohiba

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chickens can still lay eggs for more than 3 years. We have a couple of Silky bantam hens that still produce a couple of eggs a week and they are about 7 years old. It's just not commercially viable to keep them long, but for a hobbyist they can live up to ten years.
As for feeding them, chickens will eat anything, ours get all our leftover fruit and vegetable scraps. "Chicken feed" is synonymous with cheap.
Chicken poop is ideal fertilizer as well, it can be blended into soil without composting.
And, if you like thinking about SHTF scenarios, having some chickens around is a good idea.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the City... Tulsa that is and gots me a Bantam Rooster.

had a hen, but the city slicker that I am let both hen and rooster out when I got home.. with my female German Shepard looking.

well the hen took off flying with the dog chasing... into the neighbors yard never to be seen again. looked and looked all over, knocked on doors, etc... no luck

my boy caught the rooster and put him in a dog cage. found later you are suppose to feed em in an enclosed area for a few weeks before letting them free range.

"Yes, it's legal." In Tulsa, according to city ordinance, residents can own six adult chickens and 14 chicks less than 8 weeks old. ...

Last edited:

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had chickens in town, (Tulsa) for years. We had them in a fenced acre and clipped their wings so they couldn't fly over the fence and were easier to catch. By the way that rooster will be getting pretty frustrated and cranky if you don't get another hen or two, watch your back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom