Lets put our talk into action!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's an updated reply from Jason Murphy telling us about a database you can use to look up the status of current bills...

Yes! Here is the link - http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html

Hit the basic search form link and enter "hb3239" into the search form.

3239 is dead but it looks like there will be an amendment fight on another open carry bill in that committee the day after next.

SB 2230 looks like it has been reported out of committee which means it should be headed to the Senate floor.

Jason

State Representative Jason W. Murphey
Chairman Government Modernization Committee

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year our state legislators had an opportunity to take Oklahoma forward when it comes to defending every Oklahoman’s Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Open Carry would allow law abiding Oklahomans to openly carry a sidearm if they wanted to do so. But, unfortunately, the chairman, Representative Sue Tibbs, of the committee that the Open Carry bills are assigned to in the House has single-handedly held those bills up. Because of pressure brought to bear by freedom loving Oklahomans, Representative Tibbs promised she would run an Open Carry bill. After obtaining a copy of the bill, it is crystal clear that Rep. Tibbs is not living up to her promise. The bill she has offered up doesn’t even amount to taking a baby step in the right direction. It simply is not enough. It will only allow a person with a concealed carry license to openly carry a loaded firearm in their car.

It needs to go farther. Why? Recently in Georgia, a violent armed robbery crew was headed off by two gentlemen with 1911’s on their hips. They never had to unholster their weapons to keep this gang of thugs from committing their crime. Open Carry is about protecting one’s person and property and it is about our Constitutional rights! Please call Representative Sue Tibbs and Speaker Benge today and tell them that HB2538 is not good enough.

Representative Sue Tibbs: (405) 557-7379 or [email protected]
Speaker Chris Benge: (405) 557-7340 or [email protected]

For more information on the event in Georgia, click here: http://www.facebook.com/l/b09d5;www...8-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Tim Gillespie
Co-Director
OK2A

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for your email. I would like to inform you that I am a member of the NRA and have discussed with them the bill I proposed with their full backing. I also have a concealed carry permit which I hope will show you that I too am a 2nd Amendment person. I believe this is a bill the Governor will sign, which does extend open carry. Better to have something than nothing. A work in progress, if you will.

Our gun laws in Oklahoma seem to be pretty good since we received a rating of 2 on the Brady Campaign. This bill may very well bring us down to zero.

Sincerely,

Representative Sue Tibbs

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ritze had an amendment to that bill to allow holstered open carry....

....but considering he was a NAY on the committee report, I assume Tibbs was kind enough to drop it...

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5. Concealed within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded
B. A rifle or, shotgun shall, or pistol may be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle.

This will be a change from our current law because this is for peopel without a license.

D. Any person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun may transport in the interior of a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and loaded, at any time.

And this will allow us to open carry in the vehicle if licensed.

I have the actual word Document she e-mailed to me if anyone woudl like to see all of it.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jason Murphy is now pushing a bill that will allow conceal carry on a College Campus for Teachers and possibly elementary schools. Please e-mail Sue Tibbs so that she will hear this bill and not shoot it down.
The more people they know are behind our 2nd amendment rights, the more we can get accomplished.
Here is her e-mail address [email protected]

I haven't heard of many at all that are for these bills by communicating them to our Representatives and Senators?

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a piece of the reply from Senator Inhofe:

I am very satisfied that the United States Supreme Court recently ruled in a landmark 5-4 decision that the Washington D.C. gun ban is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court also positively affirmed that "(t)he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Before the Supreme Court heard this case, I joined former Vice President Cheney, 54 other Senators, and 250 Members of the House of Representatives - including all members of the Oklahoma delegation - in submitting an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to affirm that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms.

The Supreme Court will soon hear another Second Amendment case (McDonald v. City of Chicago) regarding Chicago's handgun ban. The Supreme Court will decide if the Second Amendment applies to state and local government gun laws. I signed another amicus brief filed in McDonald v. City of Chicago asking the Supreme Court to affirm that the right to keep and bear arms applies to state and local governments through the Fourteenth Amendment. You will be interested to know that when I signed the amicus brief in District of Colombia v. Heller, it had the support of more Members of Congress than any other amicus brief in known history. I am now pleased to say the amicus brief filed in McDonald v. City of Chicago has even more signatories, with a total of 251 Members of the House of Representatives and 58 Senators signing on to the brief.

As your Senator, I will continue to strongly oppose any effort to undermine the Second Amendment and an individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms. Again, thank you for your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be wrong about this but saw a piece on the news the other day about a bunch of what I would call "cowboys" open carrying in a Starbucks coffee house just because they could and from the news report to make a statement. I personally don't feel this is the proper way to forward our cause. All these guys accomplished was to give the no-guns public more ammunition to use against us.

I have real mixed emotions about open carry, it is our right but afraid "cowboys" will flaunt it past the point of common sense.

Please understand the cowboy reference was not meant to be derogatory just couldn't think of a better term to apply.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jason Murphy is now pushing a bill that will allow conceal carry on a College Campus for Teachers and possibly elementary schools. Please e-mail Sue Tibbs so that she will hear this bill and not shoot it down.
The more people they know are behind our 2nd amendment rights, the more we can get accomplished.
Here is her e-mail address [email protected]

I haven't heard of many at all that are for these bills by communicating them to our Representatives and Senators?

HB1083 is a carryover from last session and considered dormant.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent from J. Murphuy

Anti-Gun Lawmakers Prevent Vote

OKLAHOMA CITY – Anti-gun Democrats in the Oklahoma House of Representatives momentarily prevented a vote to protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens today, but state Rep. Rex Duncan vowed to continue the fight.
“Thanks to a partial Democratic caucus walkout and their flat refusal to consider an amendment, law-abiding Oklahomans with a concealed-carry permit were denied the opportunity to exercise their rights openly,” said Duncan, R-Sand Springs. “However, this issue will not go away just because some lawmakers choose to duck and cover instead of voting.”
House Bill 3354, by Duncan and state Sen. Anthony Sykes (R-Moore), would prevent the private information of concealed-carry permit holders from being released to the public if the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation were to receive an open-records request regarding those files.
When the bill was brought up, Duncan tried to amend it to include language authored by state Rep. David Derby (R-Owasso) that would have allowed law-abiding Oklahomans with a concealed-carry gun license to carry their weapon openly.
That proposal has already been enacted in over a dozen states, Duncan noted.
However, to consider that amendment, lawmakers had to vote to suspend the House rules, which required two-thirds support.
The majority of House Democrats either opposed the motion or fled the chamber, Duncan noted.
Only three Democrats – state Reps. R.C. Pruett (D-Antlers), Eric Proctor (D-Tulsa) and Terry Harrison (D-McAlester) – voted with Second Amendment supporters.
The un-amended version of House Bill 3354 passed the House today and now proceeds to the state Senate.
“I plan to work with Senator Sykes to achieve the goal of allowing concealed-carry permit holders to carry openly,” Duncan said. “Despite the setback at the hands of anti-gun House Democrats today, I am optimistic the Second Amendment will ultimately prevail.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom