Let's talk crossbows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
orange,

I think the adivce above about a 40 yd max is pretty sound. I like my deer at 30 yds or less. 40+ and they better be relaxed and clueless to your precsence. I don't care how fast your bow is a tensed deer will still string jump at that distance. I swear whitetails just walking around twitching repeating to themselves "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die........." My personal limitation is 50 yds, but thats on a relaxed deer.

I don't live in OKC, so as far as shops go I don't know, but I have been told BPS has a good selection of bows there. I have no clue what there service is like, BUT at least you could shoot several different ones at one spot.

BTW, if you are looking to buy a bow you might wanna wait till May or so. This is when the 2013 models will start hitting the shelves.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a Stryker this year, love it. Would recommend buying from a local shop compared to a retail major chain. I was told buying by the manufacture that buying from the local shop which was an official repair shop, that any warranty repairs would be handle quick and easy. So far I've enjoyed the knowledge and service at JP Archery in Sapula.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a Barnett wildcat c5. Only reason I bought it was I got a great deal as in half price(wanted a ten point).
It shoots great. However the factory customer service sucks. I wanted new cables and string.
The lady told me I needed to send it in and it would run about $100 with postage.
Went to BPS asked them about string and cables. They said "Hell, we got a whole box of parts. We've never had anybody ask for any" They put new cables and a string on for just the cost of the string.

I've got a 3 dot reddot on it and crank cocker from factory. Top dot is spot on out to 40 yards. middle dot is right on at 50 yards and will shoot 4 inch group at 50 yds. Had to stop shooting groups though cause it tears up the bolts.
Like others said though. I'm not real comfortable past 40 yards.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot an Excalibur equinox recurve.
Works great for me.

Some have said the recurve is not as good in the woods as a compound style.

I disagree as that is a perceived problem by those that have never owned them.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some have said the recurve is not as good in the woods as a compound style.

I disagree as that is a perceived problem by those that have never owned them.

Not as good? Not sure what that means, the certainly are just as deadly!!

If you mean width, then yes they are most certainly a disadvantage. I have stands that I can turn and shoot behind me in the tree with my stealth because it is only 13.5" cocked. No way I can make that shot with the trunk and branches using a recurve, just too wide.

Don't get me wrong excaliburs are great bows, but the biggest negative for me is the width. I would say that exacalibur way over plays the "maintenance free" card. The whole you can change strings in the field bit doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How many times does an archer really need the ability to change his strings in the field? Plus if you buy a quality compound you shouldn't have any problems anyway, no more so than what a recurve will give you. (limbs, trigger, etc...)

If somebody wants a recurve by all means get an Excalibur!! They are EXCELLENT bows! I will never say anything bad about them. Recurves just aren't for me thats all.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a Horton for years. Then this year I switched to a Parker Enforcer. The main point for me is that it is light (6.5lbs) and compact. This makes a huge difference up in the treestand. Its a 165lb draw shoots a bolt at 325fps. I shot 1 deer with it this year. Never knew what hit him. Paid about 550.00 for it. i would consider that midgrade. Cant make my self pay 1500.00 for one. lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom