Let's talk Zippos...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerousways

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to buy one every so often in case I needed one for.

Attachments

• 20231031_204618.jpg
    20231031_204618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4555-1540220175.jpg
    4555-1540220175.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a Zippo in our 2/2 Mech unit in Vietnam. Much too big however for what you need. M113 APC with 2 round tanks inside it. Liquids met at the rear of the muzzle tube, ignited at the muzzle and threw a Napalm out up to 50 meters or more.

Gutty guys that crewed that thing.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way GED is going to be using it, only on occasional bon fires , he will be having to put fluid in it every time he uses it . Think I would be looking for a box of wooden matches. Zippos are great but filling it to start a bon fire would be a pain LOL.

100% this.

I own several cause they’re neat. I also have several of my dad’s that I sent back and had zippo repair. Lifetime warranty or some such. He’s been dead 52 years come January and they fixed them all and sent them right back.

I can’t see where they would be worth a tinker’s damn for anyone other than a smoker that used it daily. 98% of the fluid I’ve ever bought went to the angels. I’ve burned very little of it. If my life depended on starting a fire and I wasn’t in the movies, or I was just gonna light an occasional fire I’d carry a butane cigar torch, or a 98¢ Bic.

I keep a cigar torch in my golf bag and I probably don’t use it 4 times a year but it lights every time and I don’t remember how many years ago I last filled it. Keep one in my truck console as well. I keep a zippo on my desk to fiddle with though, ‘cause they’re cool.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This time of year, I do a lot of weekend bonfires. My grandson loves em. I was gonna do one this past weekend, but we got rained out.

I usual buy those cheap lighters with the long thing and trigger, ya know? But I'm sick of buying those by the dozen and just tossing em when they're empty.

So, I thought I would add a Zippo to my EDC. I don't smoke, but the ability to make fire is never a bad idea, right? It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. Plus, I just think they're cool.

Because of my late father (RIP dad) I know that I want a butane insert. He was a lifelong smoker and he told me about how he tried to carry a Zippo as a young man, but the fluid all leaked out and made a nasty burn on his leg, so he switched to a cheap Bic.

So, what is a good constant soft flame butane insert? I don't want the torch type and I don't want the type that I hafta hold the button down to keep it going.

:thanku:

Wanna really impress the grandson, and teach him some bad habits in the process?

Get a sealed metal tube and keep some of those old fashion kitchen matches in it and strike them on your pant leg. I always thought that was great when my ole man did that.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wanna really impress the grandson, and teach him some bad habits in the process?

Get a sealed metal tube and keep some of those old fashion kitchen matches in it and strike them on your pant leg. I always thought that was great when my ole man did that.

I've tried that. I can't do it. :cry3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom