Let's talk Zippos...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the main reason I'm wanting one. I carry a mini Bic with me every day, I just thought a Zippo would be cool to own.
Oh, they are cool to own, no doubt, and there's nothing quite like flipping the lid open and striking that flint to get that cool yellow flame. But I've never had a butane lighter leak in my pocket and burn my leg, either...

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it’s all about the nostalgia which is why I think it’s silly stuffing one with some butane insert. Ya want a Zippo or something that looks like a Zippo? My taste for what I’d consider “classic” goes way beyond a lighter. My wristwatch is from 1941, it’s that or a 1908 Waltham. My small game rifles are a Winchester 1890 or 1906, a Browning Trombone or a couple H&H Rook rifles. For cooking I mainly use cast iron that goes all the way back to my great-great grandmother and I cover my head with a Stetson Fedora from the 40s. You guys catch my drift I’m sure. 😉

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have my zippo with the USN anchor and chain emblem attached that I have had since I went in the Navy in 1968. I carried it for many, many years until I quit smoking and it is still sitting in my top drawer with all my other USN stuff. I always overfilled it and kept a raw irritation on my left upper thigh where it leaked out from my left front pocket.

Don't smoke any more and never use it but I'll always keep it.
IMG_20231031_152711686.jpg

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it’s all about the nostalgia which is why I think it’s silly stuffing one with some butane insert. Ya want a Zippo or something that looks like a Zippo? My taste for what I’d consider “classic” goes way beyond a lighter. My wristwatch is from 1941, it’s that or a 1908 Waltham. My small game rifles are a Winchester 1890 or 1906, a Browning Trombone or a couple H&H Rook rifles. For cooking I mainly use cast iron that goes all the way back to my great-great grandmother and I cover my head with a Stetson Fedora from the 40s. You guys catch my drift I’m sure. 😉
Do you sport around town in a Sooner Schooner? 😁

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine's a newer one. I don't have any sort of nostalgic connection to it. I have the original liquid insert as well as a butane insert. I love the smell and look of the original...nothing can touch that. But the butane insert works wonderfully well in wind so I usually keep that one in there. And it's much easier to maintain.

I think of the insert as doing a resto-mod to a nice, classic car. Looks like the original from the outside with all the modern performance features on the inside.

Zippo.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It's a consumable
The way GED is going to be using it, only on occasional bon fires , he will be having to put fluid in it every time he uses it . Think I would be looking for a box of wooden matches. Zippos are great but filling it to start a bon fire would be a pain LOL.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way GED is going to be using it, only on occasional bon fires , he will be having to put fluid in it every time he uses it . Think I would be looking for a box of wooden matches. Zippos are great but filling it to start a bon fire would be a pain LOL.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think I've officially talked myself out of one. :disappoin

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom