Loading 30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 so I doubt it will ever be a .5 MOA rifle, my question is would it be worth buying the gauges to check for max OAL and work the different bullet depths to tighten group. Right now it is getting 1.5-1.75 groups.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 so I doubt it will ever be a .5 MOA rifle, my question is would it be worth buying the gauges to check for max OAL and work the different bullet depths to tighten group. Right now it is getting 1.5-1.75 groups.

That's well within a minute of Deer.
You could probably shrink that down by playing with the loads. What max range are you looking for?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You're the one best suited to answer that question. Is the accuracy you're currently getting good enough to accomplish what you want to do? And, are you capable of shooting a 3/5 shot 100 yard 1/2" or less groups with a 30-06?

If the answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second question is yes I would say do what you need to do to tighten up the groups. You might just need to adjust seating depth or you might need to start over with different powder/bullet. That's the fun of being a "hand loader."

You've got a lot of cartridge in that 30-06 to limit it to a 450 yard gun.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's well within a minute of Deer.
You could probably shrink that down by playing with the loads. What max range are you looking for?

Hunting in Oklahoma I have never had a shot more than 200yrds but if I ever make it to Montana for elk or NW OK to hunt it needs to be better than that. Also a couple of ranges have long range targets so I would like to feel I could take a 500 yard shot.
I just don't know if this rifle will ever be capable.

You're the one best suited to answer that question. Is the accuracy you're currently getting good enough to accomplish what you want to do? And, are you capable of shooting a 3/5 shot 100 yard 1/2" or less groups with a 30-06?

If the answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second question is yes I would say do what you need to do to tighten up the groups. You might just need to adjust seating depth or you might need to start over with different powder/bullet. That's the fun of being a "hand loader."

You've got a lot of cartridge in that 30-06 to limit it to a 450 yard gun.

1st ? is yes with practice been awhile since I shot regularly, I just don't think this rifle will ever be capable. I have researched it and a few folks says they are able to with this rifle.

Thinking on it I guess to find out if the rifle is able I will prolly go ahead and get the gauges because even if I find out it is not it will be good practice for whatever I do decide on for a long range rifle.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you Pokinfun!! I was planning on ordering the gauges today, you just saved me a bit of money!!!
NP, I did it that way when I started out. I now have a straight and curved OAL gauge.
I am not sure I get a more accurate reading, I can just do it faster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom